Youtube video conversions: Need voices.

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Youtube video conversions: Need voices.

Post by brimstoneSalad »

RedAppleGP wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:48 pm Oh yeah, when you refer to Benatar via his quotations, should I say those too? I'm thinking of saying "Benatar said . . ." or maybe giving it a pretentious voice.

But that'd be "unprofessional."
I think you can just voice the quotations normally. They'll be up on the screen.
Saying "Benatar Said" would work.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Your enunciation is better, but you might be talking a little too loud and too close to the mic (enunciation doesn't have to be loud).
I actually intentionally got closer to the mic, because otherwise there's a slight reverb. I'll move a few inches away and we'll see how that works.
brimstoneSalad wrote:You have a little Shatner-esque delivery there too, it's hard to follow.
Hah, what?
I've never seen Star Trek, but if we go by UrbanDictionary's definition, I'm overacting and I pause at random times?
I think that's just how I talk. I'll try to suppress it though.
brimstoneSalad wrote:I think you may be running out of breath and punching out the word groupings,
I actually redo a part every time I run out of breath. I'll read it slightly slower.
brimstoneSalad wrote: or just reading them in small segments without context.
Not sure exactly what you mean by this?
brimstoneSalad wrote: Can you try to speak a bit more naturally in terms of flow? If necessary we can speed up the audio a little later. Clarity is more important than speed.
Alright, I'll give it a go.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

RedAppleGP wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:10 pm I actually intentionally got closer to the mic, because otherwise there's a slight reverb. I'll move a few inches away and we'll see how that works.
That may help.
RedAppleGP wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:10 pm Not sure exactly what you mean by this?
Different groups of words seem a little disjointed, like the are changes in volume, pitch, and the emotion that are pretty sudden.

Usually you want to get through a sentence or two, and if something is messed up redo the whole part so it flows well. There may just be cuts in there that are making it sound like that. It's hard to edit together anything shorter than a complete thought.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:12 am Different groups of words seem a little disjointed, like the are changes in volume, pitch, and the emotion that are pretty sudden.
Alright, that's what I thought you were saying.
Anyways, I tried out a new mic setting and propped up the bass and treble, so here is the slightly improved version:
https://vocaroo.com/i/s04kLXu3KUgw
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Definite improvement. I'll go through this and give more detailed feedback later... remind me if I forget to do it tomorrow.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:43 am Definite improvement. I'll go through this and give more detailed feedback later... remind me if I forget to do it tomorrow.
Thanks.
Yeah, I think I effed up the enunciation on some parts, especially when I said natalism. I don't think I'm pronouncing that word correctly.
Oh yeah, I saw that you also referred to Benatar with his name backwards (like his evil twin), so I drew a mustache on him so people will know that we're not referring to the real Benatar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

RedAppleGP wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:37 am Yeah, I think I effed up the enunciation on some parts, especially when I said natalism. I don't think I'm pronouncing that word correctly.
You weren't, I was going to mention that. :)
Did you find the right pronunciation?

It's natal, as in prenatal, or neonatal.

Oh yeah, I saw that you also referred to Benatar with his name backwards (like his evil twin), so I drew a mustache on him so people will know that we're not referring to the real Benatar.
I'm pretty sure that's peter Singer. Not your fault, the internet is confused and keeps using the image for Benatar. I have not been able to find a confirmed image of Benatar.

This might be?
https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/shrinknp_200_200/AAEAAQAAAAAAAAmAAAAAJDdiN2QyMTNiLWMyNTktNDEyOS04ZjNlLTJhNTRkOThlYmUwYg.jpg

About the recording:

At three seconds you start out "while" very loud.
There is a pause after "idea", ideally it should flow directly into the thought. You might have to do it a few times to get it in one breath. The sentence could be shortened if necessary.

"Even" gets really loud again, and that bit maybe a little too sarcastic. It almost sounds drunk with sarcasm. Probably best to play it a little more mellow.

11 second on is pretty good, aside from the odd pause after "antinatalism" and before "will without a doubt"
"is very easy to do" at the end is a little slurred and kind of falls off. A more steady done with an emphasis on "easy" would probably work better.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:17 am
You weren't, I was going to mention that. :)
Did you find the right pronunciation?

It's natal, as in prenatal, or neonatal.
Or like fatal? Or cradle?
So should I pronounce it anteye-natalism or antee-natalism? Or it doesn't really matter?
brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:16 pm I'm pretty sure that's peter Singer. Not your fault, the internet is confused and keeps using the image for Benatar.
Hah, I was wondering that myself. The only picture I've seen of Singer is on Wikipedia, so I didn't really notice it, but I did think "Man, this guy looks pretty old for being 50."

Not to insult anyone of course.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:16 pm I have not been able to find a confirmed image of Benatar.

This might be?
https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/shrinknp_200_200/AAEAAQAAAAAAAAmAAAAAJDdiN2QyMTNiLWMyNTktNDEyOS04ZjNlLTJhNTRkOThlYmUwYg.jpg
It might, but David Benatar according to Wikipedia is almost 51 years old, and I don't think that this guy has enough hair at the age of 50. I dunno, his genetics are probably different.

But I guess we shouldn't draw a mustache just in case it's not him.

Anyways
brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:17 am About the recording:

At three seconds you start out "while" very loud.
There is a pause after "idea", ideally it should flow directly into the thought. You might have to do it a few times to get it in one breath. The sentence could be shortened if necessary.
I see what you mean.
icwutumeen.PNG
I think I actually did it in one breath, I honestly don't remember.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:17 am"Even" gets really loud again, and that bit maybe a little too sarcastic. It almost sounds drunk with sarcasm. Probably best to play it a little more mellow.
I felt that the inflection would emphasize the mood the the statement. :?
Heh, alright I'll try to tone down the sarcasm ;) .
brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:17 am11 second on is pretty good, aside from the odd pause after "antinatalism" and before "will without a doubt"
"is very easy to do" at the end is a little slurred and kind of falls off. A more steady done with an emphasis on "easy" would probably work better.
Ah screw it, I think I'll redo the whole thing.

It's like a game; You don't win, you just do a little better each time.
I think this is good practice, though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

RedAppleGP wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:15 pm Or like fatal? Or cradle?
Bingo.

Anteye or antee, either works. Whatever is natural for you.
RedAppleGP wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:15 pmI felt that the inflection would emphasize the mood the the statement. :?
Heh, alright I'll try to tone down the sarcasm ;) .
It does, but it's a little "punchable" sounding. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziH9St7ajuw
RedAppleGP wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:15 pmIt's like a game; You don't win, you just do a little better each time.
I think this is good practice, though.
Pretty much, you're getting way better with each time, though. I bet one or two more and you'll have it. It takes practice to record naturally and hit that sweet spot.

When you record, try to do each paragraph 2-3 times, particularly if you think one of the takes might have been a little broken or overdone, or too monotone. Then when you edit you can choose the best and most natural sounding take. It's easier than going back and re-recording then editing together more sound files.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:32 pm Anteye or antee, either works. Whatever is natural for you.
Antee anteye I dunno both I've used interchangebly throughtout my life.
I'll do the american one.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:32 pm It does, but it's a little "punchable" sounding. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziH9St7ajuw
Funny you bring that up, I remember last year in my peer groups class at school, the head counselor said the way I talked sometimes reminded me of someone, and he showed us that exact clip.

But yeah I get that a lot. Whenever I join an online game, people say "You're quite tiresome to listen to," and some others say "I wanna punch you in your face right now."

I probably should have kept that story to myself.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:32 pm Pretty much, you're getting way better with each time, though. I bet one or two more and you'll have it. It takes practice to record naturally and hit that sweet spot.

When you record, try to do each paragraph 2-3 times, particularly if you think one of the takes might have been a little broken or overdone, or too monotone. Then when you edit you can choose the best and most natural sounding take. It's easier than going back and re-recording then editing together more sound files.
I was actually just gonna ask about that. But uh, yeah I'll do that.

edit: Oh yeah, uh, if we're gonna make these videos, I'll be happy to edit them.
-Leonardo da Vinci