Youtube video conversions: Need voices.

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Youtube video conversions: Need voices.

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Cirion Spellbinder wrote:Red, in addition to the brimstone's suggestion to work on enunciation and pronunciation, it might be better if you slowed down your speech. I find it difficult to keep up, but that just may be me!
I think it's easy to listen to fast speech as long as the enunciation is clear. When you get tripped on a word it makes it hard to keep up, because your brain has to work out what the word was in context.

Since they're long texts, the speech has to be fast or the video will be too long and nobody will watch it. Double edged sword.

Maybe we should try to shorten them instead, then he can speak slower?
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

brimstoneSalad wrote:I think it's easy to listen to fast speech as long as the enunciation is clear. When you get tripped on a word it makes it hard to keep up, because your brain has to work out what the word was in context.

Since they're long texts, the speech has to be fast or the video will be too long and nobody will watch it. Double edged sword.
You're probably right, I retract my recommendation. I can always slow down them video if necessary. :)
brimstoneSalad wrote:Maybe we should try to shorten them instead, then he can speak slower?
I think that would be a good idea. Short educational videos seem more prevalent than longer ones. I imagine the 5-10 minute range would be ideal or videos could be released in segments, if we can easily break up the given argument into memorable bite size pieces.

What do you think Red?
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Shit forgot to respond.
I don't know, whatever you think. I can try reading slower, send you a sample, then you can judge from there. OR, I can use Audcacity to slow down the audio slightly. I don't mind reading the whole thing.

And maybe we can split it into multiple parts. People won't be pressured to watch the whole thing in one sitting and just save the next part into the watch later playlist.

I've noticed that people learn more from videos that are quick and straight to the point. If they want to learn more, they can just Google it.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Reading a little slower will help with enunciation. It should be as fast as possible without compromising enunciation, basically. Slowing it down using Audacity doesn't make sense, as that won't improve enunciation. Depending on your reading-out-loud skills, that may vary by the individual (slower or faster).

We should probably shorten the scripts, yes. Maybe 5 minutes or so, with more parts if necessary.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Expect to have a sample by the end of the day.
Look, I have things to do here. I have all day to jack around. I mean, I do that, I make time for it, but, uh, I got schedules.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Boom! Hot off the presses.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0bVj6i2TGow
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

RedAppleGP wrote:Boom! Hot off the presses.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0bVj6i2TGow
A lot of words I can't understand:

rational
recently
while on one
since
Antinatalism (pronunciation) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mzn0VErCFk
true on some level
of the idea
associated with veganism
will inevitably
extremes of personal purity
that I can
philosophically

The flow is also strange in some places. Probably my fault for long sentences that are not easy to read.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Consider that forum posts probably don't translate flawlessly to video scripts in any situation. You may have to adjust the post a little to make it flow better.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote:Consider that forum posts probably don't translate flawlessly to video scripts in any situation. You may have to adjust the post a little to make it flow better.
Probably a lot.

Maybe Red can just try to explain the post in his own words, which will flow more naturally for him.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Good thinking. I'll paraphrase it, run it by you to see if it's good, then I'll record it.
-Leonardo da Vinci