Issues -- please let us know!

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 8948
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Re: Issues -- please let us know!

Post by brimstoneSalad » Wed May 11, 2016 10:40 pm

The old attachments are on the old server. I'm waiting for FTP data from TVA to get them. It may be a while.

Forum email should be working again now. So, password recovery and alerts to things should be fine. Also, I re-enabled email activation for registration.

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 8948
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Sat May 14, 2016 8:07 pm

Avatars are back! Although you probably already noticed.

Attachments are more tricky, it seems they're part of the database or something. I downloaded the old ones, but have no way to easily put them back. That might take a while, or we might just need to leave them missing.

User avatar
Lightningman_42
Senior Member
Posts: 490
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:19 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: California

Post by Lightningman_42 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:54 pm

I would like to change my username if possible. brimstoneSalad, I've sent you a private message about this to you, detailing my reasons, if that matters to you.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein

User avatar
EquALLity
I am God
Posts: 2993
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:31 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: United States of Canada

Post by EquALLity » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:01 pm

^Is there a reason we can't change our usernames whenever we want to? You shouldn't have to explain your reasons to change your own username. :P
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx

User avatar
Lightningman_42
Senior Member
Posts: 490
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:19 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: California

Post by Lightningman_42 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:15 pm

Here's my reasons, if it's interesting to anyone:
I've become adverse to identifying myself as an "abolitionist vegan", both in principle (1) and in practice (2).

1. I don't fully agree with the implications of this term. It generally refers to a person who is morally opposed to all forms of animal use, though I don't agree with this. I think that some forms of animal use are morally justifiable, and some (quite likely) are even important to continue (at least in the absence of superior alternatives). Usage of guide/bomb-sniffing/drug-sniffing dogs comes to mind, as well as pet-ownership (under the right circumstances, such as not supporting overpopulation/inbreeding/abusive-breeding). At best I'd qualify as an "abolitionist" with regards to animal agriculture, most forms of animal-testing, and confinement/torment/killing of animals for the sake of entertainment/tradition/religion/etc. Basically I don't want to use a label which lacks nuance, at least until I've given those I'm speaking to a thorough understanding of my stance on animal ethics.

2. As you are likely well-aware, the term "abolitionist", within the vegan movement, is one which Gary Francione is commonly associated with. I don't want to be associated with Francione, Franciobots, or deontological advocates of veganism. There are some matters on which I agree with Francione, but many that I disagree with. I think that many of the views he expresses are incorrect and/or pragmatically-foolish (regardless of philosophic-validity). Did you know that this dogmatic deontologist has a list of "6 principles" on his website, describing what an "abolitionist vegan" is and isn't? :? It's important to me to be a pragmatic advocate of consequentialist ethics (particularly regarding veganism), and so I'd like to avoid making references to Franciology. :)

I'd like to participate on the forum (frequently) again, but I really don't like my username. Please change it for me if you can. Thank you. :D
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 8948
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:42 pm

ArmouredAbolitionist wrote:I would like to change my username if possible. brimstoneSalad, I've sent you a private message about this to you, detailing my reasons, if that matters to you.
I didn't get a PM, what do you want it changed to?

User avatar
Lightningman_42
Senior Member
Posts: 490
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:19 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: California

Post by Lightningman_42 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:03 pm

brimstoneSalad wrote:
ArmouredAbolitionist wrote:I would like to change my username if possible. brimstoneSalad, I've sent you a private message about this to you, detailing my reasons, if that matters to you.
I didn't get a PM, what do you want it changed to?
I think that I made the message as a reply to you in a preexisting private discussion thread between us.

I'll go with Lightningman_42, which is already my Playstation username.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 8948
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:41 pm

ArmouredAbolitionist wrote: I'll go with Lightningman_42, which is already my Playstation username.
Are you sure you want to link this account to your Playstation account?
Generally speaking, it's a good idea (for security and privacy) to use different usernames on difference services. Particularly if you use the same email or a similar password.

User avatar
Lightningman_42
Senior Member
Posts: 490
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:19 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: California

Post by Lightningman_42 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:01 pm

brimstoneSalad wrote:
ArmouredAbolitionist wrote: I'll go with Lightningman_42, which is already my Playstation username.
Are you sure you want to link this account to your Playstation account?
Generally speaking, it's a good idea (for security and privacy) to use different usernames on difference services. Particularly if you use the same email or a similar password.
I use 2 different emails and 2 different passwords, so I hope it's not a problem. Thanks for changing it.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein

Deva
Newbie
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:46 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by Deva » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:14 pm

How do I change my status, i.e., religion, vegan or vegetarian, etc.? I can't figure it out.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest