How to Deal With The Troll

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

User avatar
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 2937
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Toluca Lake

How to Deal With The Troll

Post by Red » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:50 pm

Now gentlemen, I'm pretty sure you've all seen the forum troll known as Dizzy. brimstoneSalad wants to ban him, but I have the better solution: ignore them. The troll wants to be banned, as that is it's prime objective as a.. well, troll. Trust me, I know: I was a troll once. On YouTube, I had a troll account with the main objective to piss off so many people, so much so that I would get banned. Then I'd just create another account, then the cycle would continue. But if you ban the troll, they would just keep coming back, then the vicious cycle would continue. As conventional internet wisdom states: DO NOT FEED THE TROLL. Don't even acknowledge them. If they see they aren't getting any attention, they would see that the forum is not worth their time and go off and find a forum that will pay attention to them. Now, as for the spamming, I recommend a way to stop Dizzy from putting a bunch of shit into one post, or at least put a limit on the amount of consecutive posts you have on one topic or one forum. So, ignore the troll, don't give him what he wants, and we'll all be one big happy family.

And Dizzy if you're reading this, don't worry, this is the last time any avid forum member will concern you.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
EquALLity
I am God
Posts: 3000
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:31 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: United States of Canada

Post by EquALLity » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:33 pm

I completely agree to just ignore him. He's not going to keep trolling if people don't respond to it... but I think we're going to have to be really consistent. Part of me thinks just replying to this is part of the problem.

I would just support a ban, but then he'd simply make another account, like you said. Unless his IP can be banned or something, and not just his account.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx

User avatar
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1575
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:52 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: Netherlands

Post by miniboes » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:56 pm

I fully support a ban, since he is clearly breaking the rules. However, as I've said a while ago, ignoring him is indeed the best way to go.
Pro ignoring tip: go to his profile and add him as a foe, you won't see his posts.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum

User avatar
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 2937
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Toluca Lake

Post by Red » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:31 pm

Heads up: Dizzy is under a new account name, called Blizzy. Remember your training..
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci

thetruemasterofgames
Newbie
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:27 pm
Religion: Other

Post by thetruemasterofgames » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:34 pm

EquALLity wrote:
I would just support a ban, but then he'd simply make another account, like you said. Unless his IP can be banned or something, and not just his account.
Ip ban could be bypassed if someone has a ghost or bouncing ghost ip then the ip ban can't stic and if they are in a public spot to get wifi it will block anyone from being on the forums from that area

User avatar
Blizzy
Junior Member
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:19 pm
Religion: Christian
Diet: Vegan

Post by Blizzy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:26 pm

RedAppleGP wrote:Now gentlemen, I'm pretty sure you've all seen the forum troll known as Dizzy. brimstoneSalad wants to ban him, but I have the better solution: ignore them. The troll wants to be banned, as that is it's prime objective as a.. well, troll. Trust me, I know: I was a troll once. On YouTube, I had a troll account with the main objective to piss off so many people, so much so that I would get banned. Then I'd just create another account, then the cycle would continue. But if you ban the troll, they would just keep coming back, then the vicious cycle would continue. As conventional internet wisdom states: DO NOT FEED THE TROLL. Don't even acknowledge them. If they see they aren't getting any attention, they would see that the forum is not worth their time and go off and find a forum that will pay attention to them. Now, as for the spamming, I recommend a way to stop Dizzy from putting a bunch of shit into one post, or at least put a limit on the amount of consecutive posts you have on one topic or one forum. So, ignore the troll, don't give him what he wants, and we'll all be one big happy family.

And Dizzy if you're reading this, don't worry, this is the last time any avid forum member will concern you.
Dizzy wasn't a troll, you should unban him.

Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1008
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:28 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: Presumably somewhere

Post by Cirion Spellbinder » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:08 pm

miniboes wrote:Pro ignoring tip: go to his profile and add him as a foe, you won't see his posts.
Sounds good. I now have a single foe!

User avatar
Blizzy
Junior Member
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:19 pm
Religion: Christian
Diet: Vegan

Post by Blizzy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:05 am

Cirion Spellbinder wrote:
miniboes wrote:Pro ignoring tip: go to his profile and add him as a foe, you won't see his posts.
Sounds good. I now have a single foe!
I can see you, but you can't see me! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

User avatar
Lightningman_42
Master in Training
Posts: 501
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:19 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: California

Post by Lightningman_42 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:19 pm

RedAppleGP wrote:Heads up: Dizzy is under a new account name, called Blizzy. Remember your training..
I'll remember my training. I thought that Dizzy was sometimes mildly amusing but it's now clear that he is a troll, due to his excessive use of caps (which he has repeatedly been told not to use), and now his usage of a new account (which is obviously still him).

I will now ignore all of Dizzy's and Blizzy's posts. Furthermore if I see a new member named Fizzy, Jizzy, etc, then I'll ignore him too.

Everyone: please ignore GreenAppleGP. His profile picture is a poorly photoshopped imitation of RedAppleGP's profile picture, and I think he is the same person as Dizzy/Blizzy. Also, as far as I can tell, RedAppleGP has no reason to create a new account and he has stated in the past that he dislikes green apples.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein

User avatar
GreenAppleGP
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:12 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by GreenAppleGP » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:37 pm

ArmouredAbolitionist wrote:
RedAppleGP wrote:Heads up: Dizzy is under a new account name, called Blizzy. Remember your training..
I'll remember my training. I thought that Dizzy was sometimes mildly amusing but it's now clear that he is a troll, due to his excessive use of caps (which he has repeatedly been told not to use), and now his usage of a new account (which is obviously still him).

I will now ignore all of Dizzy's and Blizzy's posts. Furthermore if I see a new member named Fizzy, Jizzy, etc, then I'll ignore him too.

Everyone: please ignore GreenAppleGP. His profile picture is a poorly photoshopped imitation of RedAppleGP's profile picture, and I think he is the same person as Dizzy/Blizzy. Also, as far as I can tell, RedAppleGP has no reason to create a new account and he has stated in the past that he dislikes green apples.
And I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest