People Who Abruptly Leave The Forum

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

People Who Abruptly Leave The Forum

Post by Red »

I was bored so I made this topic.

I have a pet peeve with people who just join the forum, make like 10 posts, then leave and never come back. I mean like why? I don't care that you left, but why did you leave? Did nothing interest you? If that's the case, you should've looked around the forum then make an account. Maybe they just got bored halfway through. But this doesn't only apply to the smaller, lesser known members. Remember Volenta and Neptual? They were avid posters on the forum, and they suddenly just.. left. And you guys and come at me and say that I left the forum for like 6 months, but I kinda sort of explained why, and it was that I got bored with debating religion and carnism on this site. I'm talking about people who just go AWOL, and are never to be seen again. What do you think of these kinds of people? Why do you think they left?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Insert name here

Re: People Who Abruptly Leave The Forum

Post by Insert name here »

Perhaps those who abruptly leave do become bored with the site as you did, or perhaps they became very busy and do not have the time to post like neptual did. I remeber that I didn't post much of anything during the summer because I became busy with college classes. But in regards to those that make ten posts then leave, well, I guess it could be that they wanted to try the forum out, but found that they did not like it.
Insert signature here.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

I always prefer to be notified before people leave, but I'd probably be ok with people just leaving for their reasons. What really annoys me is when people just end discussions before the correct answer is reached.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Agreed
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Mateo3112
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Mateo3112 »

Maybe they were busy, if i was married and my wife had a baby for example, i wouldn't really find time to spear on the forum, or in any forum, i'd probably also stop commenting on youtube or even stop watching youtube videos altogether... Man, being married must SUCK! xD
Anyway, jokes aside, if they were frecuent members they should have at least explained why they left, except if something bad happened to them (Like, if they died), in which case they couldn't be able to give an explaination. And if somthing bad did happen to them... Well, i honestly don't know what to say, but let's hope that was not the case.
Shadow Fox

Post by Shadow Fox »

Well, while I pop in and out maybe every once in a while, here are the problems I see going on here.

1. Smaller community - Some people just like the bigger ones, but its funny seeing as it would be bigger if they stayed more often but that is the mind of the general pop.

2, A lot of the topics are less dynamic. We atheists like the mature dull conversations once in a while, but when on the internet, we wanna be belligerent and noisy and say rude things. Don't get as much of that here.

3. A few people who are most active here are Arrogant, snooty and belligerent wads who are looking to push vegan ideology on others instead of having an actual intelligent discussion that has any openings for questioning and rationalism. I see in the vegan community far too many people who use topics and arguments that have nothing to do at all with humans eating meat and someone will come along and try to throw red harrings out there to MAKE it about a topic of humans eating meat and wonder why you are angry for them bringing it up when all you wanted to talk about is what you feed your pet or a conversation I had outside of this forum where the topic was about an old video game called rage where you were a monster that smashed buildings and eat humans. A Vegan came along and forced the topic away from that old arcade game into the "what is your justification for eating meat?". No where was that topic anywhere near the relavence of human beings eating meat or anything remotely similar to it. It was a topic of do you remember this arcade game? I see some of that activity happening here too every once in a while. I forget when it was but one of the mods deleted an entire thread I made a long while back because I irrefutably proved to them that the way the human body digests,burns and takes in fats, salts and sugars is completely different depending on the source it is. For example, saturated fats, Salt, and Sugars from natural or unprocessed/raw or what have you food is processed completely different then something that is cooked or processed.

The entire page without warning was deleted just because I proved him wrong by citing sources from credible good health and exercise websites that even had names of doctors backing what they said. One of them was for the modern use of Virgin coconut oils and how they differ from the oils made in the past.

A more recent one I think I remember making a post about grass fed milk and making another statement again by showing Brimstone salad that his fallacy of calling Milk a "sugary" beverage was complete bunk by showing him a table of everything vegetable from Apple to Mushrooms and Potatoes etc and what their sugar content was.

4. The color possibly? I find it too white for my liking lol. Sometimes it can also be hard to read. Maybe if you created multiple skins that a person can choose at the time of account making, that would be nice! Have a blue, Dark, Red or a Nature themed skin we can choose from.

5. A lot of people these days just loose interest too fast. Attention spans are not what they used to be.

6. Maybe not enough community projects, fun and games, community videos, or contests for random stuff?
We are all born Atheists, everyone of us. We are born without the Shackles of theism arresting our minds. It is not until we are poisoned by the fears and delusions of others that we become trapped in the psychopathic dream world of theism.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

Shadow Fox wrote:in the vegan community far too many people who use topics and arguments that have nothing to do at all with humans eating meat and someone will come along and try to throw red harrings out there
The example you gave was an awful example (that made me cringe a bit), but comparisons and analogy as a whole are excellent ways to compliment your arguement with something better understandable. For example,

A: Atheism is a religion.
B: Atheism is not a religion, it is a lack there of. Would you argue that not holding a rock is a form of holding a rock?
A: No, of course not. That's not a pragmatic or helpful description. I gotcha now!

Do you see how it is helpful?

Could you elaborate on what you mean by red herrings? I thought they were a tool you use to distract others in order to avoid criticism.
but one of the mods deleted an entire thread I made a long while back because I irrefutably proved to them that the way the human body digests,burns and takes in fats, salts and sugars is completely different depending on the source it is. For example, saturated fats, Salt, and Sugars from natural or unprocessed/raw or what have you food is processed completely different then something that is cooked or processed.
This needs to be addressed by the moderators? Did you break any rules? Would you mind recreating what you remember of the thread?
A more recent one I think I remember making a post about grass fed milk and making another statement again by showing Brimstone salad that his fallacy of calling Milk a "sugary" beverage was complete bunk by showing him a table of everything vegetable from Apple to Mushrooms and Potatoes etc and what their sugar content was.
Didn't he counter it by asking you to specify or something?
A lot of people these days just loose interest too fast. Attention spans are not what they used to be.
Huh? What? Oh yeah... Um vegans and stuff!
Maybe not enough community projects, fun and games, community videos, or contests for random stuff?
Those sound pretty cool. Do you think the community is large enough to participate in such things?
Shadow Fox

Post by Shadow Fox »

Cirion Spellbinder wrote:
Shadow Fox wrote:in the vegan community far too many people who use topics and arguments that have nothing to do at all with humans eating meat and someone will come along and try to throw red harrings out there
The example you gave was an awful example (that made me cringe a bit), but comparisons and analogy as a whole are excellent ways to compliment your arguement with something better understandable. For example,

A: Atheism is a religion.
B: Atheism is not a religion, it is a lack there of. Would you argue that not holding a rock is a form of holding a rock?
A: No, of course not. That's not a pragmatic or helpful description. I gotcha now!

Do you see how it is helpful?

Could you elaborate on what you mean by red herrings? I thought they were a tool you use to distract others in order to avoid criticism.

A red harring is inserting a discussion into another discussion so that the original discussion will be abandoned.

This is a red harring.

Topic: Is hitting a dog an effective way to train it not to do something?
Man 1( Any non vegan, Vegetarian, meat eater or other): No, I do not believe it is right to abuse an animal.
Man 2 ( Vegan): So what right do you have to kill an animal and eat it?
Man 1: Well...( Original Topic is abandoned for one that has absolutely nothing to do with the original topic or is semi related to the topic but does not address the topic in the slightest which was animal training.

This needs to be addressed by the moderators? Did you break any rules? Would you mind recreating what you remember of the thread?
It was a while ago and I did not break a single rule except challenge what someone had said and presented my citations. It doesn't matter anymore as it was a while ago. I don't remember the member, I am pretty sure they were just a normal member though. Doesn't really matter anymore.
Those sound pretty cool. Do you think the community is large enough to participate in such things?
It could always be nice to start out with maybe small fun projects the community can work on. Maybe Brainstorm up something fun, collaborative and something that pretty much anyone can easily get into.
It doesn't have to start out as some big contest; It can be anything that involves everyone working together to create something like a video, a collage or something.
We are all born Atheists, everyone of us. We are born without the Shackles of theism arresting our minds. It is not until we are poisoned by the fears and delusions of others that we become trapped in the psychopathic dream world of theism.
Shadow Fox

Post by Shadow Fox »

To answer your first question

The red Herring I encountered a while ago elsewhere went something like this, and I see it happen every once in a while here and other places too with various vegans which is quite frustrating when it happens.

Topic: Is Physical Discipline good for pets?

Man 1 ( Let's just say it is me): No, you shouldn't hit animals, use shock collers or anything like that for any reason when there are much better ways to train our animal fiends / pets.

Man 2 ( The angry Vegan who wanders into the forum or youtube post or where ever this is): How do you justify you're slaughter and eating of animals.

Then the next reply is a reply to his comment which talking about the ethics of eating animals means that the original topic has been abandoned.

That is a red herring.

No where in the topic of how to train animals is "food" ever going to be a topic.

Topic: What is the best brand of PC monitor?
Man1: Acer is the best in my opinion
Man2: I like X brand
Man3: So man1, how do you justify the slaugher and eating of sentient creatures if you like acer so much?

Ok! I know that probably wouldn't happen but that is how inappropriate introducing eating animals in a topic of treating your pets is. No one was talking about eating anything so that "second discussion" does not belong there because in order to have that you must first abandon the first which makes it a herring.

Now, as for the community projects. I don't really know. Doing anything that involves people getting together for fun to maybe make a collage of pictures, write something, a video or anything creative would be great. As long as it gets people together, anything small is a good start.
Last edited by Shadow Fox on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.