The Vegan Christian

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
revankatal

The Vegan Christian

Post by revankatal »

Hi,

I'm 32, married with 3 kids, all boys ages 9-6-3. I'm an accountant. financial status - lower-middle class.

Saw a video on youtube, I liked it, subscribed and followed a link here. I'm a christian, I'm a firm believer. ATTENTION: I'm not here to change your views and beliefs so don't try to change mine. I can't convince you and you can't convince me. END OF STORY.

I'm here because I think, and I like to be around people that think, and I believe It's healthy to be around others that are totally different from myself. If not, then how would I learn?

I know this is an introduction section, but I was hoping I could make it interesting. I'm also hoping the website owner reply to this small question of mine. ok... here it goes.

QUESTION: if you are an atheist, and right here right now I prove to you God exists, he appears in front of you, angels come down, a burning laptop speaks to you. what would you do then?
QUESTION: If you are a believer of a god (christian, muslim, hindu, etc etc) what if right here right now I prove to you God doesn't exist with some fact or science discovery. what would you do then?
Neptual
Diet: Vegan

Re: The Vegan Christian

Post by Neptual »

revankatal wrote:Hi,

I'm 32, married with 3 kids, all boys ages 9-6-3. I'm an accountant. financial status - lower-middle class.

Saw a video on youtube, I liked it, subscribed and followed a link here. I'm a christian, I'm a firm believer. ATTENTION: I'm not here to change your views and beliefs so don't try to change mine. I can't convince you and you can't convince me. END OF STORY.

I'm here because I think, and I like to be around people that think, and I believe It's healthy to be around others that are totally different from myself. If not, then how would I learn?

I know this is an introduction section, but I was hoping I could make it interesting. I'm also hoping the website owner reply to this small question of mine. ok... here it goes.

QUESTION: if you are an atheist, and right here right now I prove to you God exists, he appears in front of you, angels come down, a burning laptop speaks to you. what would you do then?
QUESTION: If you are a believer of a god (christian, muslim, hindu, etc etc) what if right here right now I prove to you God doesn't exist with some fact or science discovery. what would you do then?
Hi and welcome to the community :D It's great to have see theist around here as circle jerkies aren't cool :/. My response to your first question would, Yes I would then believe in god if that were to happen, but since it has yet occur I stand firm in my beliefs.
She's beautiful...
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

I would skeptically evaluate the situation and ask myself whether it's likely to be true. Why would a God be interested in just some ordinarily guy just to reveal/prove herself? It's probably more likely that I'm hallucinating. Schizophrenia usually begins at young adult age, so since I'm 19 now...

I'm also aware that these kind of experiences do occur already to some people, although most of the time in caves or on a mountain (probably where the Moses story—and also a Mohammad story—about witnessing God for some rules come from; 40 days on a mountain should be enough).

But if I'm not alone in seeing it, or brain scans show that I don't have a hyperactive visual cortex making up some images, that would at least make it more likely. So I do need some more information about the scenario before deciding whether I'm gonna believe it.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

Welcome!
Even though I'm not the admin of the site, I hope you find my answer interesting aswell.
To your first question: I'm an atheist. That doesn't mean I have some sort of 'agenda' and I can't change my ideas. I base myself on evidence and verifiable data. First of all, which God are we talking about? If it was the God of the bible, for example, I would be desperate. For me, it'd be like living in a horror movie that goes on for eternity. Billions of people burning forever in hell, being tortured? A heaven from which I can't escape even if I want to, and being constricted to be there for eternity, while my loved are suffering in hell? It would be worse than nightmare. A never-ending suffering is impossible to image for me, there's not a single creature that ever existed that deserves such a thing. Not for a minute, not for an hour, but forever you need to suffer because you didn't believe in something that had no proof?
If we're talking about a generic God (no specific one), then I would have to adapt to the new evidence, because it's the most rational and logical behavior. But it really seems hard to imagine what a God would be like. What would he/she be? The universe itself? A sentient presence?
Also, the entire world would drastically change if a particular God was proven.
I would need a more specific God to be able to answer more precisely (and it would be more logical that something appearing in front of me would be because of some drugs, not be a real God).
To your second question: it depends how much you're emotionally attached to your beliefs. If they've been a part of your whole life and you haven't even had doubts about God's existence untill that moment, then it would be really difficult to accept it. It's usually difficult to abandon your believes in a short time, it would require a long process before being able to accept the facts that were presented to you.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
revankatal

Post by revankatal »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, first off the question did specify PROVE which means its 100% beyond disbelief. its PROVEN.

@ volenta - no your not just an ordinary guy, not to the eyes of God
@ the best of energy I did specify I'm a christian, so... which God do you think I'm mentioning?

If you could prove there was NO GOD, first id be shocked... then honestly a lot of things will make more sense. But in the end if all my belief did was make me a good, honest, productive member of society... it wasn't all that bad.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

revankatal wrote:@ the best of energy I did specify I'm a christian, so... which God do you think I'm mentioning?
You didn't specify about any God. God is a very generic term.
However, if it was the God of the bible, I said what I would do. It would be the worst of nightmares for me. Psycology has already proven that living for eternity without the possibility of death would be horrifying, after a thousand years you're in the same environment. What would you do after a million years? After a billion? After billions of billions of billions of years? You would certainly lose your sanity. It'd be a really scary scenario to me. For how much try, I can't imagine a hell, a never-ending suffering.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
revankatal

Post by revankatal »

@ thebestofenergy - LOL thanks for the reply. I love the honesty and the imagination that spans a billion years. Well if it is ever proven to you, don't worry God would take care of you.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

revankatal wrote:Thanks for the reply, first off the question did specify PROVE which means its 100% beyond disbelief. its PROVEN.
Well, 100% certainty does not really fit within the scientific world view; everything is open to question. But if you can prove the existence of God using the scientific method with high probability, and disprove the contradictions that it would impose, I'm the first to accept it. If it's the Christian God, I wouldn't be happy with it though, but that's another story.
revankatal wrote:@ volenta - no your not just an ordinary guy, not to the eyes of God
All these other ~7 billion people on earth are also not ordinary?
revankatal wrote:If you could prove there was NO GOD, first id be shocked... then honestly a lot of things will make more sense. But in the end if all my belief did was make me a good, honest, productive member of society... it wasn't all that bad.
No atheist could possibly prove the non-existence of God. But it's really the Russell's teapot story here. God slowly becomes irrelevant with all these facts known about the world we live in. And I don't think you want to have a God who's just filling the unknown gaps?
revankatal

Post by revankatal »

All these other ~7 billion people on earth are also not ordinary? --- yes.

No atheist could possibly prove the non-existence of God. But it's really the Russell's teapot story here. God slowly becomes irrelevant with all these facts known about the world we live in. And I don't think you want to have a God who's just filling the unknown gaps? --- well were not in the world of logic, were in the world of conversation. and in this world everything is absolute. and in my conversation God was disproved to me 100% and proven to you 100%.

I consider myself a radical christian, I think (with the wisdom God gave me) and I ask (seek and you shall find-insert bible verse here).
Humane Hominid

Post by Humane Hominid »

revankatal wrote:Hi,
Demand an apology. ;)
Eat kind, be strong.