Introduction

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Alex55hp
Diet: Vegetarian

Introduction

Post by Alex55hp »

Hello, my name is Alex and I'm 15. I've been an atheist and a vegetarian my whole life. I'm gradually turning vegan and I would like to do more to support the rights of animals. I enjoy mountain biking, playing with my dog and studying Maths and Physics. I hope I will have many interesting discussions on this website and learn lots from them.

P.S. TheVeganAtheist, you're my idol. Your videos have had such a massive impact on me, I love all of them and I hope you never stop making them. We need more people like you on Earth.
“If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we would all be vegetarian.”
― Paul McCartney
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin
Diet: Vegan

Re: Introduction

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Hi Alex55hp, welcome to the forum. Thank you for your kind words and Im happy that you find great value in my videos, however I would caution you to not idolize anyone. I am no one special and there is a potential problem idolizing other humans. We are all fallible.

Anyway, how has being a vegetarian atheist been in your family and community?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Hi! =D
TheVeganAtheist wrote:Anyway, how has being a vegetarian atheist been in your family and community?
Yeah, are your parents atheists/vegetarians? Do they support you turning vegan?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Alex55hp

Post by Alex55hp »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:Hi Alex55hp, welcome to the forum. Thank you for your kind words and Im happy that you find great value in my videos, however I would caution you to not idolize anyone. I am no one special and there is a potential problem idolizing other humans. We are all fallible.

Anyway, how has being a vegetarian atheist been in your family and community?
Thanks for the advice, I see what you mean.

In my family, my mother and I are vegetarian and my father is vegan. But I know very few people in my area that are vegetarian or vegan. My parents are atheists, as are most of the people that I know. But I do find that those who follow Christianity are very sensitive and feel strongly on the matter. Their attitude is very... "God exists because the bible says" and laugh at the idea of evolution. (The people that I have experienced)
― Paul McCartney
Alex55hp

Post by Alex55hp »

EquALLity wrote:Hi! =D
TheVeganAtheist wrote:Anyway, how has being a vegetarian atheist been in your family and community?
Hello (:
My father is vegan and my mother is vegetarian - both of them are atheists.
My mother isn't exactly supporting my choice to turn vegan but she isn't against it in the slightest. My father is supporting me a lot with the choice.
― Paul McCartney
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Alex55hp wrote:
EquALLity wrote:Hi! =D
Hello (:
My father is vegan and my mother is vegetarian - both of them are atheists.
My mother isn't exactly supporting my choice to turn vegan but she isn't against it in the slightest. My father is supporting me a lot with the choice.
I envy you. :lol:

Your parents sound pretty cool. :D

Mine think Obama is a secret Muslim, and that no woman should have a leading position in the military.

Would you like to trade? Mine are really good when you need something to laugh at. On that front, seriously, they are superb. Like, they get a 5 star rating. ;)

When your parents met, do you know what they were? Is your mom considering going vegan? Do they come from religious/meat-eating families?

Do you have any brothers or sisters? If you do, what are they?

What made you decide to go vegan? Did your dad plant a seed in your head when he went vegan, or has he been vegan as long as you can remember?
Alex55hp

Post by Alex55hp »

EquALLity wrote: I envy you. :lol:

Your parents sound pretty cool. :D

Mine think Obama is a secret Muslim, and that no woman should have a leading position in the military.

Would you like to trade? Mine are really good when you need something to laugh at. On that front, seriously, they are superb. Like, they get a 5 star rating. ;)

When your parents met, do you know what they were? Is your mom considering going vegan? Do they come from religious/meat-eating families?

Do you have any brothers or sisters? If you do, what are they?

What made you decide to go vegan? Did your dad plant a seed in your head when he went vegan, or has he been vegan as long as you can remember?
Ahha, well everyone has their own opinion (:

Both of my parents ate meat when they met, then they decided to become vegetarian. My dad later decided to go vegan.
I haven't seen any signs that my mum is thinking of becoming vegan and I doubt she will.
They both come from meat eating families and I don't know whether they believe in a religion.

I have 1 sister who is now 19, she was vegetarian for 18 years but she moved away last year and I'm not sure if she is any more. (I don't know whether she is an atheist or not (She doesn't seem to like talking about it))

My dad has been vegan for about 25 years, so yes, that is as long as I can remember.
Over the last 5 years or so, I have been drinking and eating vegan foods and drinks when the option is there and simple (Soy milk and cheese etc.)

Within the last 2 years I've been seeing more and more videos on how animals are used and abused in such a way - I would only have dairy, honey and eggs as ingredients of other things (such as things like Pot Noodles and cakes).
A couple of days ago I watched the "Earthlings Documentary" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydgxje2sC9o which showed me everything, and that's when I knew... It's time to go vegan.
― Paul McCartney
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

I see!
Alex55hp wrote: A couple of days ago I watched the "Earthlings Documentary" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydgxje2sC9o which showed me everything, and that's when I knew... It's time to go vegan.
It's in my signature. :lol:
Alex55hp

Post by Alex55hp »

EquALLity wrote:I see!
Alex55hp wrote: A couple of days ago I watched the "Earthlings Documentary" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydgxje2sC9o which showed me everything, and that's when I knew... It's time to go vegan.
It's in my signature. :lol:
Oh yes, ahha (:
― Paul McCartney
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forum!

Your dad sounds awesome. It's great that you've decided to make the switch too, and that he'll support you.

If you need any help with going vegan, we're glad to answer any questions, but it sounds like you have a lot of expertise already which is great. :)