An introduction

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
cidig
Diet: Vegan

An introduction

Post by cidig »

Hi,
I am new to the forum. I have been a non-believer for most of my life. And a vegan since about a year (the anniversary soon). I find it comforting to have stumbled upon this forum. Most of the people around me consider veganism to be something similar to new age which is a major pain in the ### for me personally. I am an active scientist, teaching students, doing research. I became a vegan because of all the three reasons: the nutritional science, ethics and the environment. It began with the science though. I hope to read some interesting threads here and find some likely-minded people.
All the best!
cidig
EquALLity
I am God

Re: An introduction

Post by EquALLity »

Hey! :)

You know the exact day you went vegan? Nice. :lol:

Would that be your veganniversary, then?
boom-boom tap

Hm, apparently it's a thing: http://www.veganniversary.net/

I first wanted to go vegan on (I think) January 1st of last year (somewhere around 1am at my grandparents house on YouTube), but it took me a few weeks to actually go vegan because of the parents.

A scientist? Wow, awesome.
What do you study?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi cidig, welcome!

I know the feeling.

In my case, people who know me find out I'm vegan and they're usually surprised because I'm so rational/analytical, and they often see it (incorrectly) as an emotional decision.

Any particularly annoying experiences you can share?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome cidig. What is your field of science?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
cidig

Post by cidig »

EquALLity wrote:You know the exact day you went vegan? Nice. :lol:
Well, yes. Over a year ago I grew a bit tired with learning all the nutritional facts and getting disillusioned. At that time, it didn't seem to lead me to a clear conclusion quick enough so I decided that I had a month to find valid arguments against becoming vegan. I failed and here I am. ;) Since then I learned a lot more and my position is even more grounded.
brimstoneSalad wrote:Any particularly annoying experiences you can share?
Yes. I told a friend of mine that I was considering going vegan. He kept talking about it a lot unprovoked since then and that should've been a warning sign for me. :) Once, I told him something scientific about veganism, because I thought he is really interested in the subject. But he turned out to have some phobia and, agitated, told me that "veganism is not a cure for every disease". All I did was I cited an old research paper, which I myself doubt is conclusive enough, on a relief people with asthma may experience switching to a plant based option. It continued as I apparently offended his boyfriend (though I didn't, actually I cited him ;)), I had opinions I never had, I had meat and fat aversion I was not aware of — well, it seems that he knows more about me than I do. The worst part is that I always thought about this person as someone rational. He is an atheist himself, interested in rational movement etc. It is a particularly annoying experience because it is exactly the same thing that once happened to me with a catholic guy who learned I am an atheist. Very disappointing. Disappointing even though I know well that there is a lot of hyperskepticism about veganism and the science around it.

That was the first time I realised that becoming a vegan put me against another religion. In this context, veganism is a great probe of person's character and I mean the person who learns that you're a vegan. :) I found good and bad things about people I expected to be otherwise.
Jebus wrote:Welcome cidig. What is your field of science?
Molecular modeling. I am a physical chemist by training. My earliest field was biochemistry.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Hi cidig, welcome to the forum. I feel your pain (regarding the new age angle). Oftentimes I will find this spiritual or new age crap mixed up with veganism at festivals. I can understand that the hosts of the festivals need to fill in the booths to pay their costs, but they do a serious disservice to veganism by making an association that has nothing to do with it.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

cidig wrote:The worst part is that I always thought about this person as someone rational. He is an atheist himself, interested in rational movement etc.
Yes, it's disappointing to learn that many, if not most, self described "skeptics" are hardly rational. Atheists just happen not to worship any gods, but that's where the rationality usually ends.

Did you see the thread on Matt Dillahunty?
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Am I late? huh. Uhh hi cidig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
cidig

Post by cidig »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Did you see the thread on Matt Dillahunty?
Not yet! I suppose I should!
RedAppleGP wrote:Am I late? huh. Uhh hi cidig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, you're not. Hi. :)

Thank for the warm welcome, guys.