Hello, I'm introducing myself and some of my beliefs.

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
gogogadgetarms
Diet: Meat-Eater

Re: Hello, I'm introducing myself and some of my beliefs.

Post by gogogadgetarms »

brimstoneSalad wrote: You can't apologize and admit something is immoral, and then say you are justified in doing it. You're kind of contradicting yourself here. Either it's immoral, or you're justified.

You are by definition not justified in doing it if the only excuse you can come up with is "because I like it".
Justification doesn't work like that.

Justification is like "I was stuck on a desert island, and I had to eat Joe to survive."
Or "Joe was coming at me with a knife, I had to shoot him."

It takes something that is harmful, and makes it not immoral by virtue of that justification.
These contradictions in my values are the very reason why I joined up with this site. I need to learn more and re-evaluate some of my beliefs. I don't honestly believe I am justified in my meat eating habits, otherwise, I wouldn't think it's immoral. My reasoning is shaky at best.

Thank you for taking time to read my introduction and comment so thoroughly. I find your knowledge about environmentalism very informative and I hope to hear more about it in the other parts of the forum. I admire your passion and sincerity and hope to find other members here with very reasonable and logical views and means of expressing them.
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Post by miniboes »

brimstoneSalad wrote: FYI, Vegan Cheese is almost here. It's made with genetically engineered yeast to produce the same protein molecules in milk. Super awesome.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/real ... e#activity
Does this mean it will be just as high in saturated fat and bad protein as milk cheese?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

gogogadgetarms wrote:These contradictions in my values are the very reason why I joined up with this site. I need to learn more and re-evaluate some of my beliefs. I don't honestly believe I am justified in my meat eating habits, otherwise, I wouldn't think it's immoral. My reasoning is shaky at best.
I understand I just wanted to make sure to point out the contradiction, as you said, the cognitive dissonance from which you are struggling with.
It's important to identify the roots of these issues.
gogogadgetarms wrote:Thank you for taking time to read my introduction and comment so thoroughly. I find your knowledge about environmentalism very informative and I hope to hear more about it in the other parts of the forum. I admire your passion and sincerity and hope to find other members here with very reasonable and logical views and means of expressing them.
You're welcome.
And thank you for reading and considering.

miniboes wrote: Does this mean it will be just as high in saturated fat and bad protein as milk cheese?
They're just copying the protein (which is the only part vegan cheese is missing).
They're doing cow, human, and narwhal, I believe. Human milk proteins would likely be more digestible than cow milk proteins.
It's not perfect, since some people have problems with casein, but it's the only molecule we know that melts and stretches like that (that is edible, anyway).

Hopefully they will put healthier fats in it, but it may have to be saturated to provide consistency and melt-ability. At least they can use coconut derived fats, which are a little better than animal fats. Hopefully they will not use palm oil, which isn't much if any better than milk fat, as far as I know.

But once this is out, it will be the protein that's out, and other companies should be able to do different formulations. E.g. some made with canola oil, or low-fat.