Hi from Houston, Texas

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Hi from Houston, Texas

Post by Jebus »

TruthSeekerVegan wrote:I am more of an animal right activist due to the victims. However I am not very good at defending atheism unless there's a time and (hopefully smart) friend to talk about that otherwise I don't bother myself to open up. Is it something bad, what do you think?
Not bad at all. Veganism is a lot more important than atheism. Also, I find converting meat eaters is a lot easier than converting religious people.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
TruthSeekerVegan

Post by TruthSeekerVegan »

Jebus wrote:Not bad at all. Veganism is a lot more important than atheism. Also, I find converting meat eaters is a lot easier than converting religious people.
I am motivated by justice that's why I try my best to convert people veganism rather than atheism.
Some people tend to need their god delusion in order to feel safe. :roll: (I've been there) As long as they're harmless to any being on earth I'm cool with that what sort of ridicule belief they have but I LOVE watching when other atheists explode their balloon of bullshit tho :D

I would passionately talk to anyone about veganism but I would choose to talk about atheism if someone is seem to be interested in the subject. So I guess that would make me a "militant vegan but a pacifist atheists" huh? :oops: Maybe I'll be both in one day : )
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

Welcome to the forums!
She's beautiful...
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi TruthSeekerVegan, welcome!

I mostly just debunk people's religions when they use them as an excuse to harm animals; and they do so often.

We can definitely help you improve your arguments for atheism if you're up for it. Texas is pretty much the belt buckle of the bible belt, isn't it?
A tough environment to practice atheist arguments in, but the hottest fire forges the strongest weapons right?

Understanding the difference between the way theists view the world vs. rational people can also help quite a bit in forming solid arguments for veganism based on a consistent moral framework.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

TruthSeekerVegan wrote:
EquALLity wrote: I actually wouldn't have become a vegan until I became an atheist, because...
I'm the opposite :D how funny is that :)
Hahaha! :P
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
TruthSeekerVegan

brimstoneSalad wrote:Hi TruthSeekerVegan, welcome!

I mostly just debunk people's religions when they use them as an excuse to harm animals; and they do so often.

We can definitely help you improve your arguments for atheism if you're up for it. Texas is pretty much the belt buckle of the bible belt, isn't it?
A tough environment to practice atheist arguments in, but the hottest fire forges the strongest weapons right?

Understanding the difference between the way theists view the world vs. rational people can also help quite a bit in forming solid arguments for veganism based on a consistent moral framework.
You are so right! If I educate myself on those arguments maybe I could be better on atheist activism. Hope I can do that because I don't really feel comfortable talking to everyone about religion and that's not an excuse for a rational people who wants to see a change in the world so I must achieve myself and do my part, right? Can you recommend me anything on that? How can I improve myself to become an atheist activist?

And yeah Texas is pretty tight place about religion yet I am originally from Turkey which is an (supposedly secular) Islamic country so I still find it easier to live in Texas than living in a society where muslims are in the vast majority. :/

(By the way, I've lost so many friends for defending veganism in the conversations and I don't want to lose others. I am very passionate about defending veganism and it sometimes drains all of my energy. I am not sure how would I feel if I get into atheist activism as well. It's hard not to take anything personal and not to get upset about it at sometimes.
I am still a newbie :)
TruthSeekerVegan

Neptual wrote:Welcome to the forums!

:D :D :D :D
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

TruthSeekerVegan wrote:Can you recommend me anything on that? How can I improve myself to become an atheist activist?
One of the best ways is trial by fire. Have lots of debates, and you'll learn from the mistakes you make, and do better each time. Pay careful attention to learning what the other person believes, and using the Socratic method.

Try here:

http://theveganatheist.com/forum/viewto ... f=15&t=706

You can debate Jebus, he'll pretend to be a Christian. That will be really good practice.

Otherwise, it's good to watch debates, like on Youtube. Sam Harris is pretty good. Matt Dillahunty also usually does a pretty good job.

Miniboes can probably give you some links to some Dillahunty debates.

There are unfortunately not a lot of good debates on religion.
TruthSeekerVegan wrote:And yeah Texas is pretty tight place about religion yet I am originally from Turkey which is an (supposedly secular) Islamic country so I still find it easier to live in Texas than living in a society where muslims are in the vast majority. :/
Oh, yes, I can see how that might be an improvement.

How did you escape Turkey? How old were you when you got to move to the states?
TruthSeekerVegan wrote:(By the way, I've lost so many friends for defending veganism in the conversations and I don't want to lose others.
Well, you just got a bunch of new friends! :D

BUT, you can make some friends with some apologists. They like to argue, so they won't un-friend you for it. You both learn something from the debate. Just make sure to debate face-to-face so it's easier to keep it civil.
TruthSeekerVegan wrote:It's hard not to take anything personal and not to get upset about it at sometimes.
I am still a newbie :)
It takes practice. It's good that you're passionate, but try to let that fuel your motivation, and once you get into debate mode, try to distance yourself a little.

It might help to practice debating things you aren't invested in too, to develop a debate mode.