Hi guys, maybe you can help me out.

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
TheVeganKat
Diet: Vegan

Hi guys, maybe you can help me out.

Post by TheVeganKat »

I've been thinking of joining this forum for a while. I haven't had the courage before, but I feel like I could use a group of people to relate to. That is, if you don't mind hearing me whine a little about today's events.

I've been Vegan for 8 months, and I'm also not a Christian. I live in a household with 2 meat eaters, one of whom is a hunter, and the other is a choir director.

Usually we have a few bumps here and there about our differences, but never something so bad that it's caused me to panic honestly. Today, I was making some vegan enchiladas (I make the dairy free cheese myself). All of a sudden, Nan comes up to me and just suddenly says; "God killed animals for Adam and Eve to wear." I hadn't really said a word to her all day, so her bringing this up confused me. The subject of my Veganism had never popped up. So I responded with an "ok." and continued to make the cheese. She then said. "If God can kill animals then it's OK for me to wear them as fur coats too. How do you feel about that?" I was honest and told her that I was uncomfortable with it, she then proceeded to tell me how Jesus fed the people fish and bread. She asked how I felt about fishing and I said it was wrong. She then proceeded to tell me that I was going to hell and that I was going against the Bible and such. Then she got my gramps in there to yell at me too. He said I was more ill now than I was when I ate meat, which is a lie actually because I'm no where near as sick as I was. So she spent the next hour telling me that the Bible came before all and how I'm going to hell for not killing animals. Guys I don't know what to do. This seemed like a good enough place to ask; how would you handle it?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: Hi guys, maybe you can help me out.

Post by Jebus »

Hi VeganKat,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have an awful living arrangement. Are you old enough to move out? Anyways, you are right and they are wrong, so stay tough.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Don't listen to them, they're just trying to egg you on. Just don't say anything, they're attempting to get you pissed. Maybe just show them how exactly fur coats, animal skins, fish, and other animal products are obtained. And don't worry, most of us on the forum are here to help you with any issue. Welcome, and also what Jebus said. Just tough it out for now. ;)
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi VeganKat, and welcome!

Cool hat, by the way.

I'll echo Jebus here; are you old enough to move out?

If so, that's usually the best policy for living situations. When you're living with people, it's very hard to confront them about things like this, because stirring things up can make things worse.

If you at least have the option to move out, then it could be worth risking a confrontation to try to resolve things.

At the same time, it sounds like they're trying to provoke conflict, so you may be stuck with a confrontation either way.

Since their bullying seems to be religiously motivated, you might do well to direct them to information on Christian vegetarians. Sure, you could attack their religion directly, but it's probably better to take the accommodationist approach on this one and try to convince them to respect your choices within their own framework.

http://www.all-creatures.org/cva/default.htm
http://freefromharm.org/veganism/christ ... -veganism/

You can read the Bible to promote or condemn almost anything, since it contains a lot of conflicting ideas (many authors who had a lot of disagreement), but there are a lot of strong arguments for veganism that can be made from a Christian perspective which they may be more inclined to at least respect if not understand and agree with. If you make them feel uncomfortable about what they're doing as Christians, they may back down.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Welcome! I'm glad you finally decided to post and join, then! :D

I thought Adam and Eve didn't wear anything God gave them? Didn't they eat from the tree, and then made their own clothing?
Going against the Bible? The Bible goes against itself! http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_ ... tions.html
You could point out that the Bible also says not to wear mixed fabrics in Leviticus 19:19. It's not like it's a good guidebook for running your life.

I think the Christian-vegetarian-information approach is probably better, though, so that they don't get defensive.

Do they know you're not a Christian?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
TheVeganKat

Post by TheVeganKat »

EquALLity wrote:Welcome! I'm glad you finally decided to post and join, then! :D

I thought Adam and Eve didn't wear anything God gave them? Didn't they eat from the tree, and then made their own clothing?
Going against the Bible? The Bible goes against itself! http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_ ... tions.html
You could point out that the Bible also says not to wear mixed fabrics in Leviticus 19:19. It's not like it's a good guidebook for running your life.

I think the Christian-vegetarian-information approach is probably better, though, so that they don't get defensive.

Do they know you're not a Christian?
Yea they know, that's another reason I'm going to hell. Nan forces me to go to church with her every sunday, saying I might learn better. She said last night she thought taking me to church would reassure me of becoming a christian, in all honesty, the the things the preacher said drove me away further...
TheVeganKat

Post by TheVeganKat »

Jebus wrote:Hi VeganKat,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have an awful living arrangement. Are you old enough to move out? Anyways, you are right and they are wrong, so stay tough.
Thanks Jebus. Yea I am old enough to move out, but financially I am unable to. However my Father may be allowing me to move into his new house with him soon and help me out financially. I am in college now, so money is scarce..
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Yea they know, that's another reason I'm going to hell. Nan forces me to go to church with her every sunday, saying I might learn better. She said last night she thought taking me to church would reassure me of becoming a christian, in all honesty, the the things the preacher said drove me away further...
Oh, I see. Ugh, that sounds difficult. They're constantly trying to convert you? Jesus.
How long have you been openly non-Christian? Maybe they just need time.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
TheVeganKat

Post by TheVeganKat »

EquALLity wrote:
Oh, I see. Ugh, that sounds difficult. They're constantly trying to convert you? Jesus.
How long have you been openly non-Christian? Maybe they just need time.
Openly? Hmm.... I've been a non-Christian for 6 years, openly I think only a year...
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Hi TheVeganKat, welcome to the forum.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics