Hi guys, maybe you can help me out.

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
TheVeganKat
Diet: Vegan

Re: Hi guys, maybe you can help me out.

Post by TheVeganKat »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:Hi TheVeganKat, welcome to the forum.
:) Thanks TheVeganAthiest. You have a wonderful forum here.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Openly? Hmm.... I've been a non-Christian for 6 years, openly I think only a year...
Out of curiosity, what are ya?

Maybe they do just have to get used to your beliefs/lack of beliefs. It took my parents a bit of time, but they fizzled down. It's been almost two years, and they don't bring it up much anymore. Sometimes they do, but not nearly as much as they used to.

Maybe you could tell your grandparents that if Jesus is real, he'll reveal himself to you, and that you need to come to the conclusion on your own.

Maybe tell them that being forced to go to Church just pushes you farther away, and that you feel as if it sends the message that they think there is something wrong with you for not being Christian, and that you don't want there to be a tension between you (or something kind of sappy like that).

Great that you might be able to move in with your father, though. I would GTFO as soon as he becomes available.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

EquALLity wrote: Maybe tell them that being forced to go to Church just pushes you farther away, and that you feel as if it sends the message that they think there is something wrong with you for not being Christian, and that you don't want there to be a tension between you (or something kind of sappy like that).
From personal experience this usually doesn't work. It seems as though they think that if they instill this 'I love Jesus' image within your mind you'll eventually conform out of being too tired to fight against it anymore.

It came to the point for me where I would go but asked to go the bathroom and either stayed in there the whole time, or left the church itself. However I'm not too sure how well this would work in your situation since may parents trusted me to go to church on my own.
She's beautiful...
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

From personal experience this usually doesn't work. It seems as though they think that if they instill this 'I love Jesus' image within your mind you'll eventually conform out of being too tired to fight against it anymore.
My parents were like that for awhile (around a year), but they eventually gave up. I didn't use this method, though, I just argued with them. ;)

Perhaps they got too tired, hahaha.

I don't know, every parent/grandparent is different, right? Maybe it's worth a shot?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
PPP

Post by PPP »

Welcome to the forum!
Good for you to become a vegan and that you gained the courage to join the forum. Although I have no personal experience of your current living situation and thus no helpful insight in how to deal with it, I can at least offer some perspective: If anyone in Sweden says they believe in Jesus, many (if not most) people will think they are a bit nuts. Sweden is far from a perfect country, but at least the separation of church and state has had a profound impact here.

What I'm trying to say is, if you were here - you would be the norm my friend... :D For many reasons it's easy to sometimes lose perspective and in those situations it can be very helpful when you regain it.
(And yes, I know it's a bit hypocritical to ravel in being the norm since we for the most part are fighting against it.... It is always the easier way to walk though.)
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

PPP wrote:If anyone in Sweden says they believe in Jesus, many (if not most) people will think they are a bit nuts.
This almost wants me to move back home despite the cold. Hopefully in my life time, the majority will think you are nuts if you say you like to eat meat.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
PPP

Post by PPP »

Jebus wrote:
PPP wrote:If anyone in Sweden says they believe in Jesus, many (if not most) people will think they are a bit nuts.
Hopefully in my life time, the majority will think you are nuts if you say you like to eat meat.
Amen, Jebus, amen :lol: