Greetings Earthlings!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Indigo Monkey
Diet: Vegan

Greetings Earthlings!

Post by Indigo Monkey »

Greetings Earthlings!

I feel honoured to be accepted as a part of your community, but I still await an official welcome.

A few characteristics of myself:
  • • Origin: NGC 1169
    • Current Location: London, UK
    • I am an ape-like, bipedal creature not of this earth; evolving independently of the human species.

For the purposes of introduction, I fall into the following of your human categorisations:
  • • Vegan (4 years)
    • Atheist (since my conception)
    • MGTOW
    • Indigo
I hope to be welcomed, and stay to communicate with like-minded individuals.

Live long, and prosper... iI\/l
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Greetings Earthlings!

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Indigo Monkey!

I saw you were online earlier, I'm glad you've made an intro post.

What brought you here?
Indigo Monkey

Post by Indigo Monkey »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Welcome Indigo Monkey!

I saw you were online earlier, I'm glad you've made an intro post.

What brought you here?
I highly value your attentive nature, so thank you.

I lurk not without feeling a certain compulsion to be involved. :geek:

Ironically, I came in search of a place where the torture, consumption and use of sentient beings was remonstrated, and banished from global society in all it's forms; this would serve the purpose of evidently presenting a case where advanced civilisation were fully capable of thriving without the exploitative practices of other 'intelligent' life forms native to the planet. Unfortunately, I cannot travel back at this time nor would it be of any use, so I will continue my goal for justice and this cause in my newly established habitat. However, there is hope for this place, we just need to educate, enlighten, and set an example for others to follow and understand their past wrong doing. That is why I am here - to connect; or re-connect in some cases.

il\/l
Last edited by Indigo Monkey on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
il\/l

All sentient creatures deserve to live long and prosper.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I mean to theveganatheist forums. Did you watch TVA on youtube?
Indigo Monkey

Post by Indigo Monkey »

Apologies, yes

I have been following him on Youtube for some time now. Only just made the leap to the website forum.
il\/l

TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Hi Indigo Monkey, may I present you with an Official welcome to the forum. Happy to have another fellow vegan atheist on board. Id love to hear about your experiences that prompted you to become vegan, and how you find living as a vegan in London and dealing with non-vegans.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Indigo Monkey

Post by Indigo Monkey »

Thank you for the welcome VA - it's really an honour to be here.

I have to say, you are the first public figure I know who has created a media outlet which successfully combines Atheism and Veganism; the rational combination perfectly executed. Bravo.

Okay, well fantasy aside: I come from an Italian/English culinary family, so as you can imagine, meat was a staple food for the household, considering my father owned his own restaurant. Although I never really felt an extreme requirement to eat dead animals, it was just a 'normality'. As a youngster I was always against the idea of wearing leather and fur, whilst also being strictly opposed to going hunting and generally exploiting animals for pleasure or fashion; but the dietary aspect wasn't in the forefront of my mind at this point, nor were the ethical issues surrounding meat consumption exposed.

I spent the majority of my youth on the outskirts of a small town, so farms, wilderness and animal sanctuaries were common; I indeed spent a significant amount of time attempting to bond with sheep, lambs, cattle and other classical farm animals. So I was always an animal person, feeling empathy and compassion, and seeing these creatures as fellow earthlings, yet, I can't believe to this day I was still eating them at that point. I was inadvertently conditioned by my parents to disassociate what was on the plate with where it came from, I failed to make that connection. I can remember my first Vegan moment though. It was whilst playing the classic Oddword: Abe's Oddysee game. If you have not experienced this game, then read the first paragraph of this wiki - http://oddworld.wikia.com/wiki/Abe%27s_Oddysee - which will explain exactly why it's significant in this context.

Anyway, with that history out of the way. I actually became vegan for selfish reasons, my health. At the pinnacle of teenhood I moved out from my parents house and to the city of London. I contracted some minor health problems (autoimmunity) regarding my skin, then was referred to some reading material by a friend which completely altered my perception of nutrition and the consumption of animal products; one notable book, which you have also advocated, was 'The China Study' by Dr T. Colin Campbell. After my introduction to ignorant Veganism, I continued to research fiercely, becoming aware of the full spectrum of issues surrounding animal products, including all ethical, environmental and nutritional issues, my thirst for the truth was unrelenting. Subsequent to viewing the horror of animal consumption, my internal anguish was profound, but I did not stop to open my mind and force those blinders off - I felt like the fatal blow to my psyche awoke me from this coma I was in, sparking this sense of rebirth and awakening. From that point I knew I had to be an animal liberation activist for all eternity and I knew I had a greater purpose in life: to help others wake up from this dream state that I broke free from.

After the awakening, I went through a very depressive stage which a lot of people can empathise with, remembering my past years of animal consumption, which wreaked havoc in my moral core. This was the hardest part of it all, coming to terms with my past actions, and that my indoctrination was indirectly harming sentient beings all that time, and I was actively participating in this horror story. At first I felt this profound and ferocious anger for all the propaganda that was force fed into my psyche, conditioning me with false virtue and unparalleled disregard. I felt so stupid and mentally abused by society and my nurturing figures that I completely broke down and begged the animals around me for forgiveness. For the first time in my life, I felt a small sample of the pain and terror that these animals go through. It was only after a couple of years that I got my shit together and started to educate others on the matters that are now at the forefront of my mind: ethics and morality, with the subjects of health and environment as backup artillery fire.

I was never an apathetic person... It was only a matter of time before I discovered the truth.

Well, that is my story. I hope I didn't bore you, and provided some insight into my choice.
il\/l

TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Thanks for sharing. You write in a very nice descriptive fashion.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Indigo Monkey

Post by Indigo Monkey »

Thanks, I enjoy writing - and reading for that matter - I expect you have unveiled your story somewhere here, if that exists can you provide a link to it?
il\/l

Indigo Monkey

Post by Indigo Monkey »

Sorry, I should answer the other questions you had...

I find it incredibly easy living as a Vegan here in London. There is a multitude of convenience. There is also no shortage of vegan restaurants so there is never a day when I feel like i'm struggling to find something to eat. I love to cook meals using the basic components, so maybe that is what makes my life easier, not tending to buy ready meals. I'm actually surprised at the amount of 'corner stores' that have entire sections for organic food produce.

How I deal with non-vegans: always be prepared with all the facts, always. Where I live people are generally quite accepting of other's views because of the multicultural nature of the city, unless they are religious which generally makes them closed minded. Although you get acceptance, it just seems they are mostly high on blue pills, and wherever you go, you'll get those particular people who tend to drive me insane trying to reach out to them; instead they make me want to pull my hair out.
il\/l