Hello Everyone so glad to be here

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
ravencassidy

Hello Everyone so glad to be here

Post by ravencassidy »

I found this forum and website on youtube while watching one of my favorite channels..DarkMatter2525 and The Vegan Atheist channel was in the similar channel list so I watched some videos, love the Shit the Bible says !!! Now I am hooked and thought why not debate and talk to like minded people.. I put other for what type of food I eat because I am mostly vegetarian and non gmo eating...
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Hello Everyone so glad to be here

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi, and welcome!

If you're an atheist, interested in channels on science and skepticism, why non-GMO eating?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Hi Ravencassidy. Welcome to the forum. What do you mean by mostly vegetarian?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
ravencassidy

Post by ravencassidy »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Hi, and welcome!

If you're an atheist, interested in channels on science and skepticism, why non-GMO eating?
GMO's are human made for profit and are known to cause Cancers as well as other medical issues. Chemical companies have invented this frankenfood to have a monopoly on the world food supply and profit from human suffering. I try to not eat GMO'S but it's difficult because Monsanto ( the owners of GMO) are all over the country. I read labels and try to eat as healthy as possible, I consume a lot of food that comes from Vermont... I say mostly Vegetarian because I will eat local organic meat but only once in a while...
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

ravencassidy wrote:
brimstoneSalad wrote:Hi, and welcome!

GMO's are human made for profit and are known to cause Cancers as well as other medical issues. Chemical companies have invented this frankenfood to have a monopoly on the world food supply and profit from human suffering. I try to not eat GMO'S but it's difficult because Monsanto ( the owners of GMO) are all over the country. I read labels and try to eat as healthy as possible, I consume a lot of food that comes from Vermont... I say mostly Vegetarian because I will eat local organic meat but only once in a while...
Any sources?

Pretty sure the EU outlawed most GMO crops here, so I don't worry about it very much.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

ravencassidy wrote: GMO's are human made
Bicycles are human made, that doesn't make them bad. GMO are not completely human made, though, they're actually just very slightly modified.
It's in the name.

They're usually modified by adding the gene of another plant, and animal (which doesn't make them unvegan), or bacteria of some kind.
ravencassidy wrote:for profit
That's how commerce works. But, you're also partially wrong on that point; most GMOs are not made for profit, but by universities.

Many, however, are patented -- most famously the genes for roundup readiness -- which is an issue. However, the original roundup ready genes' patents are just expiring, which is a bit of a game changer.

http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/pages ... ation.aspx

Monsanto, which is the major company in this sector, is remarkably transparent.
ravencassidy wrote:and are known to cause Cancers as well as other medical issues.
No they aren't.

This is why I asked. You have been misinformed. GMO has not been shown to be harmful in itself.

Most GMO crops are slightly less nutritious than the standard varieties, but this comes with a MUCH higher yield for farmers (more food produced per acre). This is just the typical kind of trade off you make when you produce varieties of crops with higher yields, larger seeds, etc. That happens whether by direct genetic modification, or cultivation over generations.

Some GMO have actually had more nutrients added at the genetic level though; there are some really great strains out there.
ravencassidy wrote:Chemical companies have invented this frankenfood to have a monopoly on the world food supply and profit from human suffering.
No, scientists improved these natural foods to have higher yields, be more resistant to pests, etc. in order to help people and end world hunger.

It was started by Norman Borlaug, a hero and possibly the greatest person to ever live in terms of good done by virtue of saving some billion lives.

These large companies purchased and patented the technology in order to make money. It doesn't give them a monopoly. People can still grow the original non GMO seeds without paying these companies. The reason few people do is because the yields are so much better with GMO.
More food, less land, less energy.
ravencassidy wrote:I try to not eat GMO'S but it's difficult because Monsanto ( the owners of GMO) are all over the country.
I try to eat GMO when I can. They have higher crop yield, and so are more environmentally friendly. Or do you want to clear-cut more forests and turn them into farm land? Personally, I like forests.

ravencassidy wrote:I read labels and try to eat as healthy as possible ... I will eat local organic meat but only once in a while...
Meat being organic doesn't make a difference. It's still full of artery clogging saturated fat, carcinogenic creatine byproducts, and heart damaging carnitine, as well as other inflammatory and carcinogenic substances. In addition, being organic means that the animal probably consumed a lot of pesticides (since organic food contains more dangerous pesticides in larger amounts), which may have bioaccumulated.

Also, local means nothing when it comes to meat. The overwhelming majority of embodied energy in food is not transportation, but production. And in the case of greenhouse gas production, your local meat is just as responsible for over 16% of global warming due to animal agriculture methane as any other meat.

Really not healthy.

You've gotten your information on health from unrealiable, uncritical, and unskeptical sources. But good news! Now you can get the real scoop. :)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote: Pretty sure the EU outlawed most GMO crops here, so I don't worry about it very much.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation ... pean_Union

I can't do any better that the Wikipedia article, so I'll leave it at that. :)
ravencassidy

Post by ravencassidy »

Yes The UK has restrictions but they are not 100% GMO free http://www.gmo-free-regions.org/gmo-fre ... ngdom.html

HAAAAA you must have stock in MONSANTO or work for them lmao are you seriously trying to tell people that GMO's are healthy and pose no risk to health? There are mounds of research that states otherwise my friend...
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

ravencassidy wrote: HAAAAA you must have stock in MONSANTO or work for them lmao are you seriously trying to tell people that GMO's are healthy and pose no risk to health? There are mounds of research that states otherwise my friend...
I'm going to give you a chance to realize you were rude here, and to apologize for your comment.

If you want to discuss this, that's a possibility, but that kind of behavior is unacceptable.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
miniboes wrote: Pretty sure the EU outlawed most GMO crops here, so I don't worry about it very much.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation ... pean_Union

I can't do any better that the Wikipedia article, so I'll leave it at that. :)
I appreciate their approach, I was mistaken in thinking there were no GMO crops. They seem to be handling it very carefully, which is a good thing if you ask me.

I recently saw a newspaper article saying "Peanut butter now contains GMO's, the single most dangerous nutrient around".

I mentally facepalmed.
Personally, I like forests.
Yeah, we need more forests.
HAAAAA you must have STOCK in MONSANTO or work for them lmao are you seriously trying to tell people that GMO's are healthy and pose no risk to health? There are mounds of research that states otherwise my friend...
Then provide the research instead of just claiming you're right.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum