Hello Everyone so glad to be here

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Hello Everyone so glad to be here

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote: I appreciate their approach, I was mistaken in thinking there were no GMO crops. They seem to be handling it very carefully, which is a good thing if you ask me.
It's not particularly bad, but it is overly cautious. However, their scientists have gotten it right every time as far as I've seen.

If meat went through the same screening process as a new kind of food (without comparing it to other meat) they'd ban it straight away. It's conventional foods that should really be screened.
miniboes wrote:I recently saw a newspaper article saying "Peanut butter now contains GMO's, the single most dangerous nutrient around".

I mentally facepalmed.
WOW, I bet. I lost respect (any I had left) for most news media a long time ago. Non-scientists shouldn't be reporting on science issues. But they really don't care if it's correct or not, they just want to sell papers. And fear-mongering sells very well.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

brimstoneSalad wrote:It's not particularly bad, but it is overly cautious. However, their scientists have gotten it right every time as far as I've seen.
I'd rather have overly cautious than not cautious at all. Also, it's quite easy to say they're being overly cautious in hindsight, having access to the results of their research.
If meat went through the same screening process as a new kind of food (without comparing it to other meat) they'd ban it straight away. It's conventional foods that should really be screened.
I agree, but I don't think that's a practical possibility. I don't think alcohol would be approved by this screening process either, but criminalizing it would cause outrage. People like their chocolate cake, bacοn and beer even if it's bringing them an early death.
miniboes wrote:I recently saw a newspaper article saying "Peanut butter now contains GMO's, the single most dangerous nutrient around".

I mentally facepalmed.
WOW, I bet. I lost respect (any I had left) for most news media a long time ago. Non-scientists shouldn't be reporting on science issues. But they really don't care if it's correct or not, they just want to sell papers. And fear-mongering sells very well.
It's an attractive title, I'll give 'em that. It wasn't a very credible newspaper though. My father every now and then brings me one of the better ones (Volkskrant) if they have an article on food, and most of the time it is quite sensible. The problem is that scientists are often too busy doing science to write articles about it, or don't have access to the major media.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

welcome ravencassidy to the forum. Tell us about yourself.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics