Heyho

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Nik Joda
Diet: Vegan

Heyho

Post by Nik Joda »

Hello everyone,

i am from germany and an atheist. A few weeks ago i turned 20 and now study Buissness Computical Science.
In my family is actually no influence from religion.
As i was in school i hated biology cause my teacher was horrible. But i got interestet since i observed many youtube videos about religion.
Since i was in school there was no doubt that evolution is a fact. Thats actually general education in germany.
But all the time i see religious people do not understand that and search for excuses. I do not understand how people can not understand
scientific reasoning. I am very shocked when i watch cristians try to give evidence on their faith. I am very convinced that reasoning with evidence is very important.
In my opinion there is a "supernatural being" we can not observe nor explain.
(by that i mean a being that can influence the natural laws and not an allpowerful being that created us all)
But that has nothing to do with religion itself.

So i try to improve my knowledge and i think that this forum will be helping me out on it.
I would be glad to read your opinion / experience on that.
TheAddict

Re: Heyho

Post by TheAddict »

Hello Nik!

What's Business Computational Science? I'm studying Software Engineering! Is it a mixed degree?

Coming from a country where Creationism is taught and Bible Study is a mandatory class in even secular schools, I have to tell you that it's mostly because people are not exposed to scientific literacy at a young age. When since age 5 you're taught that a god created the universe, and then at age 16 you have the option to choose Biology as a class, where you're taught otherwise, your entire worldview changes.

It's quite sad actually.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Hallo neighbour!

What makes you think there is a supernatural being?

Is religion a big deal in Germany? Does it influence your life a lot?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome Yoda. How come you identified yourself as an atheist? Based on your intro post you don't come off as an atheist at all. Perhaps you can clarify your beliefs.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
AustinGulotta

Post by AustinGulotta »

Welcome!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your belief in a supernatural power that influences nature is like the "God" to which Einstein referred, correct? He and Stephen Hawking alike say that there is something rather fantastical about life, nature, and how the universe works. The "God" of which they speak is just that amazing part of life to which they express awe. No physical being, no omnipotent, omnipresent, etc. being that actually exists with a mind and form. Just that to which they express awe. The mystery and beauty of the universe, if you will. Is this what you mean, or do you believe that a being with mind and form exists behind everything? I hope it goes without saying, by the way, that both men were/are atheistic.

I want to make sure I stress that it is common in the field of science for people to believe that what they call a "God" exists, and this "God" is merely the mystery that makes life so baffling and amazing. It is not the theistic or deistic view that something created all of us. It's a bit of a semantics minefield.

So, my friend, I suppose the question is this: Are you a deist, or do you belive as I expressed above?
Nik Joda

Post by Nik Joda »

What's Business Computational Science? I'm studying Software Engineering! Is it a mixed degree?
Well there is actually many degrees of it. Software Engineering is a very specific kind. My brother has made his bachelor this year in Buissnes Engineering. Because of that and the fact that in school one of my maincourses was ahm dunno whats litterary translatet but generally about buissness. So i decided to combine Computical Science with buissnes cause it was to boring for me to study just one. So basically its the combination of both as a key position. (this is an edit: i searched for it and generally i mean "Buissnes informatics" sry by that.)
What makes you think there is a supernatural being?
Well what i mean is that it may exist. But that does not include that i worship a "god".
Why do i think that is because humans can not answer all questions. So i do not say there is no "Supernatual beeing". Instead i say there is no proof that it do not exist. So if you look at religion you would admit there is quiet alot proof that its totally nonesense. :)
Is religion a big deal in Germany? Does it influence your life a lot?
Well it depends. On the actual environment there is not really influence. It is not like they go from home to home and tell you what you have to believe. It is impossible for religious people to claim bs and get attentiom from the minority. Sadly there are too many people with prejudices who act simply on incorrect informations. Or they have just personally problems.
What i just noticed is that they are trying to get more rights in case of building synagoges and staff. And i there are a few people who dont want that and burning synagoges or act violent against foreigners.
I am very sad that this is happening. I do not support violence in any way. My personal key is:
Aslong as it does not affects you, they can talk all day.
Welcome Yoda. How come you identified yourself as an atheist? Based on your intro post you don't come off as an atheist at all. Perhaps you can clarify your beliefs.
I am an atheist cause i reject the believe in a "god". So in any case if there is someone whi tell me his god is the right god i reject it. I do not see why i should have faith in something if i can handle my live 1. Better 2. My own way 3. Without doubts if i am right or wrong etc.
So, my friend, I suppose the question is this: Are you a deist, or do you belive as I expressed above?
Well i do not really refer to Einstein or Hawkins. That is just the way i think about the universe. Any kind of science is observed by humans. The fact that currently we can not observe anymore than our planet means to me that we observed actually nothing compared to what the universe includes. So additionally we are bound on the human senses. I found an good example a few years about that.
We are in the third demension. So we can see the second and the first Dimension. But they can not see the other way back to us. So if the third Dimension has his view on the second and first. There could be a higher valued Demension we can not see but they can see us. So if there exist life i would think that thise life is supernatural because they are not bound on our laws of nature.
Well nvm thats all hypothetical and just my guesses.
So technically i am not a deist.
AustinGulotta

Post by AustinGulotta »

Ah, alright, I see. You're merely an agnostic atheist, then, yes?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Nik Joda wrote:So i do not say there is no "Supernatual beeing". Instead i say there is no proof that it do not exist.
Are you sure you are not an agnostic?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Nik, welcome to the forum! I'm glad you've joined us, I hope you like it here.

Look into the word preternatural, as distinct from supernatural, I think that's what you're looking for.

The supernatural violates logic, and can not exist; the preternatural is just as of yet unexplained or unknown science, which follows the rules of logic and the universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preternatural
Nik Joda

Post by Nik Joda »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Look into the word preternatural, as distinct from supernatural, I think that's what you're looking for.
Thats actually pretty much what i meant. The unkown that is not explained yet. And we dont even know yet how we would explain it because we are still learning and do not reached the point where we could start to observe.

Thanks dude :)