Hi! Привет! שלום!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
TheAddict
Diet: Vegan

Hi! Привет! שלום!

Post by TheAddict »

Hello everyone, I'm a Russian/Israeli student!

I grew up in a purely carnivore household and am vegan for just over 7 months. I wanted to become a vegan for about a year now, but couldn't make the transition. I finally became vegan in prison. Where meat is disgusting and they can't give you spoiled veggies (laws and stuff, I guess). The whole story is very interesting and if anyone cares I'd gladly share. Since I'm a student, I don't have much time on my hands, but eventually, I am planning on writing a book about my story in prison. I was arrested for pacifist views and refusing to fire a weapon in the army :|

I'm also an atheist, coming from a Russian household, with parents who grew up in the Soviet Union, we pretty much never had to face religion until we came to Israel. Where the state itself is a theocracy that disguises itself as a democracy.

That was way longer than it should have been, nice to meet you!
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Re: Hi! Привет! שלום!

Post by miniboes »

Welcome! Cool to have a Russian here.

What were you in prison for?

Will your president start WW3? :p
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
AustinGulotta

Post by AustinGulotta »

Welcome! You sound like a brilliantly interesting addition to the forums :) Can't wait to hear more from you!
TheAddict

Post by TheAddict »

miniboes wrote:Welcome! Cool to have a Russian here.

What were you in prison for?

Will your president start WW3? :p
Welp, born Russian, I now live in Israel.

See, in Israel, people are drafted to the military (actually, in Russia too). So I was drafted like everybody else. I couldn't serve though, because they require you to carry arms and, if it comes to this, eventually fire your weapon and maybe even kill someone. Being a pacifist, I told them I cannot agree with these terms and do not support the actions of the Israeli government (I assume you know about what's happening in the whole Israel-Palestine crisis). So they put me in prison for less than two months.

I made my case in court, the judge approved it, and I'm a free man. Now studying in the university instead of contributing to an unnecessary war.

About Russia, yeah, taking land is never justified. I really hope it doesn't come to WWIII, but look at how Hitler started his regime. United Russia/United Germany. I'm by no means comparing the two, but as a third party, I do see the resemblance.
AustinGulotta wrote:Welcome! You sound like a brilliantly interesting addition to the forums :) Can't wait to hear more from you!
Thank you! I see you're new yourself! How're you liking the forums so far?
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

That's a very good reason to land in prison, and I guess it did you good in a way by allowing you to make the leap to veganism! Was it Gary Yourofsky that made you want to go vegan? He's achieved a lot there right?

I just trust the world leaders realize that starting a world war might very well mean the end of our species, and are rational enough not to do so.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
TheAddict

Post by TheAddict »

miniboes wrote:That's a very good reason to land in prison, and I guess it did you good in a way by allowing you to make the leap to veganism! Was it Gary Yourofsky that made you want to go vegan? He's achieved a lot there right?

I just trust the world leaders realize that starting a world war might very well mean the end of our species, and are rational enough not to do so.
No, actually!
The Gary Yourofsky story is as follows - two vegan activists in Israel translated his "Greatest Speech" video and it went viral. Then he came to visit. I'm not sure what year it was, but I was oblivious to the person and this whole thing taking place.

My story's a bit different. I have a vegan friend, and she taught me a lot about what I used to put in my mouth. Being a rational person, I tried to justify my reasons for eating meat. It came to the point where my final cop-out was "But it tastes so good!". I realized that good taste was not a solid enough reason to continue eating meat. Plus, she's an amazing cook, and I never thought that "vegans eat grass all day".

WARNING: I may use very strong language, because pacifism is a passion of mine, and I really hate war.
In prison, I went on a hunger strike for 17 days, claiming that I'd rather die than fight for what is basically a pissing contest. Eventually, I was sent to the hospital to get transfusions so I won't die. After 17 days an a release from the army, I had to serve the rest of my sentence. To not damage my health I had to start off slow and the doctor told me to eat very little, very easily digestible food and chew a lot. So I did! When the time came, I looked at the plate of what most people call meat (seriously, even meat eaters complained about how it's probably not real meat), and declared that I'm vegan. So they had to give me special treatment and supply fresh veggies, since I declared I was raw.

I must mention that claiming veganism in prison is seriously the best incentive: If you claim that you're vegan and they catch you with meat, they add days to your sentence, the guards will treat you differently and everything goes to shit. So I had to continue, even when it was very hard.

At the time, our biggest channel in Israel (Channel 2) started airing Big Brother. Where two of the contestants were vegans, having barely any knowledge about veganism (who'd remember in detail anything their friend told them?), that show was like my mentor. Any argument, Tal (one of the vegans) would have an answer for. So I watched and I watched. Other inmates would ask me stuff, and pick on me, and being (at the time) a very fresh vegan, I didn't know what to respond with. She helped me a lot. AND SHE WON! Though, that was after I got out.

Some of the stuff I did (like pretending to be raw, by actually going raw) was morally questionable, because if you look at it from a third perspective, I went vegan to just say I'm vegan, for the status. But two months after watching Big Brother, and not eating one dish that had any animal protein in it, I realized I don't really need animal protein to be healthy. So it's been 7 months and I'm feeling great!

Now I'm vegan for the right reasons, I'm a very big advocate for animal rights. Being a pacifist and eating meat and dairy would be hypocritical.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome to the community. You certainly have an interesting life story. I always worried if I were to survive as a vegan if I went to prison. I'm surprised it's actually easier.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
TheAddict

Post by TheAddict »

Jebus wrote:Welcome to the community. You certainly have an interesting life story. I always worried if I were to survive as a vegan if I went to prison. I'm surprised it's actually easier.
Why would you want to go to prison in the first place? :lol:
PPP

Post by PPP »

A warm welcome to you. What an inspiring story, well done!
Obviously there are some differences between Sweden and Israel when it comes to refusing to use a weapon when drafted. They simply put me in a lower "employability" group which was fine by me, I never had to serve. I would also consider myself a pacifist.
AustinGulotta

Post by AustinGulotta »

TheAddict wrote:
AustinGulotta wrote:Welcome! You sound like a brilliantly interesting addition to the forums :) Can't wait to hear more from you!
Thank you! I see you're new yourself! How're you liking the forums so far?
I love the forums. They appear thus far to be an incredibly safe, open environment in which one may express opinions or concerns and receive feedback quite rapidly.