Ahoy!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Zakor
Diet: Vegan

Ahoy!

Post by Zakor »

Hello everyone!

This looks like a nice forum to spend some time on.

I am 32 years old and Swedish. I have been a vegan for 13 years and l-o-vegetarian for 15 years before that.

I have been an atheist all my life. My mother is the only one who believes in some kind of higher power but not in any of the usual religions. Here atheism is the norm. I can not imagine how it must be to hide the fact that you are atheist just so you can get a job. Or maybe I can since I am a vegan and some people are still judgemental about that. But it is not quite the same.

I study biology at university which is very interesting. I will concentrate on plants later on, since experimenting on animals is out of the question for me.

I have been interested in religion and superstitions for a long time, mostly because I want to understand why people believe. I found TVA on youtube yesterday and the videos are pretty good :)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Re: Ahoy!

Post by miniboes »

Welcome to the forums!

Praise North Europe, am I right? How is veganism viewed in Sweden?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi Zakor, welcome! I'm glad you've found us.

Wow, you've been veg a long time. Were you very young?

That's great that you study biology. Are you planning to get into genetic engineering? There's certainly a great need, with the growing world population, for more healthy and sustainable food sources.
Zakor

Post by Zakor »

Thanks for the welcomes!

miniboes: Veganism is pretty well accepted now compared to say ten years ago. Six percent of the population is vegan :)

brimstoneSalad: I was very young yes, I puked after eating some sausages and did not want anymore meat. My parents did not mind and started cooking vegetarian meals for me.
I honestly do not know what I want to do after I have finished studying. But something involving food production would definitely be interesting and also useful for society.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Sounds like you have pretty great parents, to support you like that. Lucky :-D

Maybe you can get into cellular stuff? Like help develop the next generation of in-vitro meat, and save billions of animal lives by taking the sentience out of the equation?
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

welcome to the forum Zakor! Happy to see another vegan atheist join the community. How old where you when you went vegetarian? How did your parents respond? Do they still consume animal products?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Välkommen Zakor. There are at least three Swedes in this community, including us. I haven't lived in Sweden since 1989. Great to see that the vegan community has grown to 6%. Must be among the highest vegan percentages in the world.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Zakor

Post by Zakor »

I was 3-4 years old when the aforementioned sausage incident happened. My parents started cooking lacto-ovo-vegetarian meals for me, they already ate a lot of vegetarian food. No one in my family is an excessive meat eater but they do eat it. My mother is close to being a vegan now.

Tack Jebus! Yes I saw some mentions of Swedes :) Together with the vegetarians we make up a tenth of the population and it is increasing all the time!
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Zakor wrote:I Together with the vegetarians we make up a tenth of the population and it is increasing all the time!
This is great! Last time I was in Sweden I noticed a great increase in vegan restaurants. I can't believe there are now more vegans than vegetarians in Sweden. The vegetarian to vegan ratio where I live is about 10000 to 1 and I'm not even exaggerating.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Zakor

Post by Zakor »

Ouch! I hope your place gets better soon Jebus.