hi I'm not a ukulele.

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
vikpugs
Diet: Reducetarian

hi I'm not a ukulele.

Post by vikpugs »

Hello there all, I was inspired by unnatural vegan on YouTube to join this forum. I'm not vegan yet, since I can't buy my own food, Go to the doctor, or eat gluten. However I love veganism and I'm really interested in going vegan. I'm on a shitty old phone, that autocorrects everything to ukulele, and I'm really mad about it. :roll:
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: hi I'm not a ukulele.

Post by Jebus »

Welcome! Are you sure you can't eat gluten? A study showed that about 85% of everyone who thinks they are gluten intolerant actually aren't. Regardless, there are lots of excellent non-gluten vegan foods. Do your parents buy your food? If so, do you have any influence over what they buy for you?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
vikpugs
Diet: Reducetarian

Post by vikpugs »

Hey there, I live with my grandparents, I feel guilty about asking for different foods
Since my Grandma gets confused. She is used to making Puerto Rican foods and cooking with meat, and she is also used to cooking every day. She's getting old and she's always cooking for all five of us and sometimes company too. She gets upset if I don't eat her cooking. Although I can usually just eat some of it, and not all of it, I've been struggling with energy, so I'm trying to be balanced as possible and get enough protein. I realized that I don't have headaches or fatigue or stomach aches or digestive problems anymore when I don't eat gluten, milk, or eggs. My breakouts and "asthma" have also went away since avoiding gluten and I have had enough energy to work and do exercise, I also feel less anxiety, and depression. I'm just doing what feels best, until I can afford an official diagnosis by myself, since my family is religious, and seems to be against doctors.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

That's a tricky situation vikpugs, will you be moving out soon?

What might work is if you make requests rather than reject things: e.g. ask for something positively rather than saying what you don't want.
There may still be some meat in it, but you can probably request traditional dishes with protein that contain less meat than others.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Hey vikpugs, welcome to the forum!
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci