Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Chouston

Post by Chouston »

Sorry I probably messed this up, have never used one of these before really. I'm 23 and Scottish, I have toyed with the idea of Veganism half hearted in the past as the idea of what you guys believe is great. I failed due to lack of preparation really. I had started thinking about going to a plant based diet after reading Scripture and understanding that was the master plan from Yah for us to eat and through the fall of man we began to eat meat (apologies for any non religious) after that I had seen how your gut health effects your mental health. Well I'm currently on Lithium Therapy for type 1 bipolar after 2 admissions but this has kept me stable for the last year, however the plan is to be on a diet that promotes gut health and will aid on my journey to hollistic methods. My issues with going vegan is I struggled to feel full, I would buy loads of fresh fruit and veg and maybe dark chocolate and it's great for a few days but then it fails ultimately. I also struggle with a milk and butter replacement that isn't too strong flavoured. Anyone in the UK know of a brand that would be great !

Cheers guys hope I've used this correctly
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: New Member

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Chouston, you've used it correctly, don't worry.
Chouston wrote: ↑Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:35 am My issues with going vegan is I struggled to feel full, I would buy loads of fresh fruit and veg and maybe dark chocolate and it's great for a few days but then it fails ultimately.
The trick there is protein. You probably need legumes and nuts/seeds to get in enough protein to fill up.
It's possible to get enough protein to survive with fruits and veggies, but it's very hard to feel full on it. You probably need closer to 100 grams of protein a day to be satiated (only about 50 grams to survive). 100 grams is hard to do with fruits and vegetables at the center of your plate, but easy to do when you use beans and whole grains as staples with a little veggies and fruit on the side.
Chouston wrote: ↑Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:35 amI also struggle with a milk and butter replacement that isn't too strong flavoured. Anyone in the UK know of a brand that would be great !
Well they'll all have different flavors, but if you use them in smoothies that pretty much covers it up.
You can also get used to it by transitioning more slowly if the taste is putting you off. Like adding 10% non-dairy milk to your dairy milk, then increasing the % each week until you're used to it.
A few things take a little taste adjustment.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: New Member

Post by Jebus »

Welcome Chouston,

I assume you are Jewish because of your Yah reference. If so, do you think the scripture you referenced is the reason veganism has become so popular in Israel.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.