New member Introduction.

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
preet
Diet: Vegetarian

New member Introduction.

Post by preet »

Hello everyone, I am a first year engineering student in India. I have occasionally watched many of TheVeganAtheist's videos and just recently discovered about this forum from one of the videos. I have been an atheist as far back as I can remember, since I was never strongly influenced to follow any religion by my parents. I am almost vegan, but must consume some dairy products, due to not being financially independent. I am looking forward towards actively participating in the forum.
“It is difficult to find happiness within oneself, but it is impossible to find it anywhere else.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: New member Introduction.

Post by miniboes »

Welcome to the forums!

How are atheism and veganism regarded in India?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
preet

Post by preet »

Veganism - Almost half the population of India is vegetarian either due to religion(Hinduism) or due to economic reasons(meat is expensive).The only people who are vegans are true jains(jainism is one of the two atheistic religions which originated in India) who are very few in numbers and go to great lengths to prevent animal suffering. Converting to veganism due to moral reasons is very rare, but the movement is very slowly catching up because of increasing awareness. Presently, people find it hard to understand why someone would stop consuming dairy, they believe that the "cow mother" willingly feeds them.
Atheism - Atheism too, is weak in India it is automatically assumed that you follow the religion of your parents. India is full of religious fundamentalist, It is not safe to say something blasphemous.
“It is difficult to find happiness within oneself, but it is impossible to find it anywhere else.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

preet wrote:The only people who are vegans are true jains(jainism is one of the two atheistic religions which originated in India) who are very few in numbers and go to great lengths to prevent animal suffering.
I wish all religious people were jains instead of muslim, christianity, etc. It sounds like such a harmless religion, new atheism wouldn't be necessary.
Atheism too, is weak in India it is automatically assumed that you follow the religion of your parents. India is full of religious fundamentalist, It is not safe to say something blasphemous.
Are you an in the closet atheist, so to say?
Last edited by miniboes on Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
preet

Post by preet »

Are you an in the closet atheist, so to say?
No, my family and all my close friends know. My family is not very religious so they have no problem with that.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi preet, Great to meet you, and welcome to the forum! :)

Engineering, that's great. Are you focused more on architectural, mechanical, chemical, electrical?
preet

Post by preet »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Hi preet, Great to meet you, and welcome to the forum! :)

Engineering, that's great. Are you focused more on architectural, mechanical, chemical, electrical?
Hi brimstoneSalad, Great to meet you too! My engineering branch is Information Technology and Communication.