Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Dorrie1967
Diet: Vegan

Post by Dorrie1967 »

Hello Folks,
I am looking forward to participating in some interesting discussion on veganism.
After being a vegetarian for 30 years I became a vegan 6 months ago and love it.
I am a Highland Scot living in the US for almost 20 years, Professor in a University in WA state.
I love a good laugh, nature, being outdoors, and worry about what we are doing to our planet.
Cheers
Dorrie
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: New Member

Post by Red »

Hey Dorrie, it's good to see you made the change to veganism.
What subject do you teach at Uni?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Dorrie, I hope you like it here.

Did environmental activism inspire your change to veganism?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Hi Dorrie. Welcome to the forum. I was also vegetarian before becoming vegan. 30 years!!! What took you so long?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Dorrie1967

Post by Dorrie1967 »

Red wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:20 pm Hey Dorrie, it's good to see you made the change to veganism.
What subject do you teach at Uni?
Hi Red,
I teach bioinformatics.
Cheers
Dorrie
Dorrie1967

Post by Dorrie1967 »

Jebus wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:03 pm Hi Dorrie. Welcome to the forum. I was also vegetarian before becoming vegan. 30 years!!! What took you so long?
Hi Jebus,
I did not realize the harm I was doing to cows and hens by eating dairy and eggs (free range only), I had thought it was pretty harmless to them. Having watched a couple of documentaries I realized that was not the case and that I was part of the cruelty chain and contributing to harming our environment. I so wish I had gone vegan 30 years ago instead of just vegetarian.
How about you, what made you go Vegan?
Cheers
Dorrie
Dorrie1967

Post by Dorrie1967 »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:57 pm Welcome Dorrie, I hope you like it here.

Did environmental activism inspire your change to veganism?
It was part of it for sure. I watched the netflix documentary "What the Health" and I made the commitment that day to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

Cheers

Dorrie
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Dorrie1967 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:21 pm I did not realize the harm I was doing to cows and hens by eating dairy and eggs (free range only), I had thought it was pretty harmless to them. Having watched a couple of documentaries I realized that was not the case and that I was part of the cruelty chain and contributing to harming our environment. I so wish I had gone vegan 30 years ago instead of just vegetarian.
How about you, what made you go Vegan?
Pretty much same as you. I was ill informed by my boss at the time, who was a charismatic author/speaker on vegetarianism. He claimed that cow milk is essential for human health. Once I learned how the dairy industry is the same as the meat industry, and that my boss's health claims were bullshit, becoming a vegan was a no-brainer.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.