Hey there :)

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Eqeuls
Diet: Vegan

Hey there :)

Post by Eqeuls »

So I guess i'll introduce myself before I start messing around in the Forum. (already failed :/)

I am 21 years old, from Switzerland and just recently finished my four year long
apprenticeship as a Graphic designer / Printer / Car-wrapper---Mahsup. (Yes, we've got a Job like that here)
I am a big fan of animated series and shorts, like the stuff that you can find on newgrounds & on youtube
and someday i'll try to animate my own stuff. But I didn't draw for years, so I am focusing
on re-learning the basic of drawing again (damn!) :)

Anyway, my closer family is reformed, but we never really went to the church - except perhaps at Christmas.
I am still in the church (paying taxes) but i'd define myself as an Atheist.

Eating habits..
I was a Vegeterian for around 8 months, and then transitioned to a Vegan (2 months now).
Sadly, on monday I'll have to adapt a Vegeterian diet again ... and a pretty worse one :cry:

Greetings, Eqeuls
Volenta
Master in Training

Re: Hey there :)

Post by Volenta »

Welcome Eqeuls!
Eqeuls wrote:Anyway, my closer family is reformed, but we never really went to the church - except perhaps at Christmas.
How did they response to your atheism? (if you're actually out) Did it cause you any trouble?
Eqeuls wrote:I am still in the church (paying taxes) but i'd define myself as an Atheist.
Aren't you able to stop your church membership? I know it can be tough, but you should have the right (legally) to unsubscribe.
Eqeuls wrote:I was a Vegeterian for around 8 months, and then transitioned to a Vegan (2 months now).
Great to hear you made the transition. When you're still a meat eater, veganism seems hard to do/reach, but by gradual transition you'll notice it's actually not that hard. That was my experience at least.
Eqeuls wrote:Sadly, on monday I'll have to adapt a Vegeterian diet again ... and a pretty worse one :cry:
Why exactly is a vegan Monday not possible? Tell a bit about the situation you're in.
Eqeuls

Post by Eqeuls »

Wasn't prepared for such a quick reply :D

Well my dad wasn't upset at all. My mom on the other hand was a bit more difficult, and that's why I didn't leave church for now a.k.a still pay taxes. She is very spiritual, not in a full religious sense, but overall a spiritual person. Every room in our house is arranged by the rules of feng shui, she often reads buddism books - when I asked her if she convertet to buddism, she said that she is still a christian, but for her buddism is more like a guidance for life. What I am trying to say is, that she kinda needs this "guidance" and therefor thinks that I need it too. I remember her saying that if I ever marry somebody, she would be upset if it wasn't in a church.. and as far as I know, you're only able to marry in a church, if you and your SO are christians. Well I am just not quite sure if I can take the step out of the Religion - even if it's only for the sake of my mom.

A veganfree monday as a vegan sounds silly to me :) No, I actually have to join the Swiss-Army on monday, since we've got a militia over here.. and they don't accept Vegans. Which is actually cool with me, since I don't really like the concept of an Army.
(I have to phrase the whole sentence different) If you're male and 20 years old , you've either have to join the Swiss-Army, engage socially, or pay pretty high taxes for not attending. Most people try to avoid getting recruited, since the army fanatics act like drill sergeants.. the thing is, you either have a "good" excuse (like sleepwalking, some serious injuries, weed smoker, mental ill or vegan) or you'll get recruited. Unfortunately, I was recruited when I was 17 and had to finish my apprenticeship, therefor couldn't attend the army when I turned 20. So when I was 17 I kinda lifed in my pink-Switzerland-comfort-bubble and didn't have the values I have now (I thought joining the army makes you male). And since I got recruited back then I can't change the decision now (unless I've got an injurie ofc).. So my values changed since I was 17, I still life in this secure-Switzerland-bubble.. but I am atleast aware that somethings go horribly wrong on our Planet and try to change that (step-by-step) atleast..

Anyway, my values changed but I still have to join the army, and they even serve vegeterian food (yay.. ;_;) and by vegeterian food I mean the same the omnivores eat - but without meat.. but anyway, what I am trying to say is.. I have to go the army, they only serve vegeterian food, my veganism is frozen for the next 6 months :/

Hope this wasn't too confusing (since my english isn't too fluent) otherwise just ask ^^
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

Eqeuls wrote:Well my dad wasn't upset at all. My mom on the other hand was a bit more difficult, and that's why I didn't leave church for now a.k.a still pay taxes. She is very spiritual, not in a full religious sense, but overall a spiritual person. Every room in our house is arranged by the rules of feng shui, she often reads buddism books - when I asked her if she convertet to buddism, she said that she is still a christian, but for her buddism is more like a guidance for life. What I am trying to say is, that she kinda needs this "guidance" and therefor thinks that I need it too. I remember her saying that if I ever marry somebody, she would be upset if it wasn't in a church.. and as far as I know, you're only able to marry in a church, if you and your SO are christians. Well I am just not quite sure if I can take the step out of the Religion - even if it's only for the sake of my mom.
What about humanism? Maybe you can comfort your mother by saying you're a humanist? (if it in fact fits with your world view) But it seems your family is pretty moderate. Most Christians I know don't wanna hear anything about Buddhism because it would be idolatry. But Buddhism has ironically enough no Gods, but the fact that Buddha himself is an idol for some—instead of Jesus—is probably enough.
Eqeuls wrote:A veganfree monday as a vegan sounds silly to me :) No, I actually have to join the Swiss-Army on monday, since we've got a militia over here.. and they don't accept Vegans. Which is actually cool with me, since I don't really like the concept of an Army.
(I have to phrase the whole sentence different) If you're male and 20 years old , you've either have to join the Swiss-Army, engage socially, or pay pretty high taxes for not attending. Most people try to avoid getting recruited, since the army fanatics act like drill sergeants.. the thing is, you either have a "good" excuse (like sleepwalking, some serious injuries, weed smoker, mental ill or vegan) or you'll get recruited. Unfortunately, I was recruited when I was 17 and had to finish my apprenticeship, therefor couldn't attend the army when I turned 20. So when I was 17 I kinda lifed in my pink-Switzerland-comfort-bubble and didn't have the values I have now (I thought joining the army makes you male). And since I got recruited back then I can't change the decision now (unless I've got an injurie ofc).. So my values changed since I was 17, I still life in this secure-Switzerland-bubble.. but I am atleast aware that somethings go horribly wrong on our Planet and try to change that (step-by-step) atleast..

Anyway, my values changed but I still have to join the army, and they even serve vegeterian food (yay.. ;_;) and by vegeterian food I mean the same the omnivores eat - but without meat.. but anyway, what I am trying to say is.. I have to go the army, they only serve vegeterian food, my veganism is frozen for the next 6 months :/
That's not a great situation you got yourself strangled in. And there is absolutely no other way out than injury? I would suggest talking with someone about this problem because that's some weird rules they impose on people.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Welcome to the forum Eqeuls! Nice to see other vegan atheists in our community.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi Equels, welcome!

Congrats on going vegan.

Sorry to hear about the army thing. If you tell them you're vegan and they boot you, will that be a problem for you?

I suggest you just ask for vegan food when you join and go to eat. The serving staff can probably find odds and ends for you that are vegan. If they give you non-vegan things, you can give to others or trade.

After a few days, if you're feeling weak because you're only eating the fruit, go to the doctor and explain the situation. You'll probably be let out for medical reasons.
Eqeuls

Post by Eqeuls »

So, I am back! First of all..
Welcome to the forum Eqeuls! Nice to see other vegan atheists in our community.
What about humanism? Maybe you can comfort your mother by saying you're a humanist? (if it in fact fits with your world view) But it seems your family is pretty moderate. Most Christians I know don't wanna hear anything about Buddhism because it would be idolatry. But Buddhism has ironically enough no Gods, but the fact that Buddha himself is an idol for some—instead of Jesus—is probably enough.
I actually need to read about humanism first, I don't really know exactly what the term is about. But i'll prolly come back to you sooner or later, when I've got a bit more time. ;)
That's not a great situation you got yourself strangled in. And there is absolutely no other way out than injury? I would suggest talking with someone about this problem because that's some weird rules they impose on people.
Sorry to hear about the army thing. If you tell them you're vegan and they boot you, will that be a problem for you?

I suggest you just ask for vegan food when you join and go to eat. The serving staff can probably find odds and ends for you that are vegan. If they give you non-vegan things, you can give to others or trade.

After a few days, if you're feeling weak because you're only eating the fruit, go to the doctor and explain the situation. You'll probably be let out for medical reasons.
I guess i'll see how the first Week goes down, i'll report back @ next Saturday (or Sunday) and tell you guys what happened and how it went down, I think that's the smartest thing I can do now.

Stay tuned &
Greetings Eqeuls
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

Eqeuls wrote:I actually need to read about humanism first, I don't really know exactly what the term is about. But i'll prolly come back to you sooner or later, when I've got a bit more time. ;)
I can highly recommend watching this talk by A. C. Grayling. Probably the best explanation I've come across.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LyTc7Vh8zo
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

Another person that lives in Switzerland! I'm not from there but I'm going to college at ETH. Welcome to the forums.
She's beautiful...
Eqeuls

Post by Eqeuls »

Well, I've got finally Weekend (Atleast 1 day)
I can highly recommend watching this talk by A. C. Grayling. Probably the best explanation I've come across.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LyTc7Vh8zo
I'll definitely check that out, thank you!
Another person that lives in Switzerland! I'm not from there but I'm going to college at ETH. Welcome to the forums.
Hey :D Have fun at the ETH - Zurich is a great City! (Btw: I hope you don't have to sleep in the bunker under the ETH :lol: )

So, here's my report!
I am not allowed to continue my Vegan diet, but they cook Vegeterian food (Sometimes i'd classify it as Vegan but I often can't tell if they used butter or not - but they probably did. I will stay in the Army for now, allthough it is very, very exhausting.. Usually me and my mates will get up around 5:05 and it is very stressfull.. You've got no privacy at all - the only exception is the toilet. The day is organized and between the appointments we've got almost no time. Some people couldn't even stand on their feet after the first week because they had big blister on their foot - almost the size of an apple. Ofc there are doctors in our base but it seems as blisters aren't viewed as a big problem. (I am relieved because I don't have any problems on my feets, because you'll stand on them around 18 - 20 hours a day)

We've got to carry very heavy backpacks a gun and other stuff (gasmask, bottle, helmet ect.) and it is super heavy. Once we've had have to wear a gas mask and run with it, I did almost collapse, since I couldn't really breathe in it.

Now, I've got the first Week behind me and I feel a bit brain washed. Before I went to the Army I always was against it, I didn't want to support an organization like this.. but it seems as if I find some positvie points in it. I always had a bit social anxiety - it wasn't a big problem for me but I used to walk with my shoulders down and didn't feel very well around a crowd of people (or at clubs ect.) It seems as the drill and the straight standing / and always being with mates helps with this problem.. Afterall - i'd rather stay home tomorrow than going back into base but i've got no choice.. i've got to go back.. :cry: