Hey there :)

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Hey there :)

Post by miniboes »

I wonder, what is the Swiss army preparing for? It seems weird to have mandatory service these days.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote:I wonder, what is the Swiss army preparing for? It seems weird to have mandatory service these days.
Mandatory military service is kind of like tax; it's hard to raise it without a fuss, but leaving it there is pretty easy.

Particularly when all of the adults had to do it too, so it becomes something like a social right of passage. And, if anything ever does happen (natural disaster, etc.) you have a trained disciplined standing army to deal with it.

Unfortunately, I have to admit it makes sense.

BUT it's absolutely horrible that they don't 'allow' people to be vegan; that's none of their business, and they should be catering to any dietary needs due to ethical or religious reasons just as a prison has to. It's not acceptable that compulsory enlistees get fewer rights than prisoners.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

brimstoneSalad wrote:BUT it's absolutely horrible that they don't 'allow' people to be vegan; that's none of their business, and they should be catering to any dietary needs due to ethical or religious reasons just as a prison has to. It's not acceptable that compulsory enlistees get fewer rights than prisoners.
Perhaps Equels should sue the Swiss army like that atheist sued the US air force. Sounds fun. :D
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum