Hayden

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Hayden
Diet: Vegan

Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Hello, members of Vegan Atheist Forum!

Thank you for allowing me to join in on your discussions. I have been a vegan for over 17 years.
For the sake of general identification, I would most closely resemble an agnostic atheist but
I prefer to see myself as a simple "seeker". The preference to leave no stone unturned and be
continuously open to new insights of understanding and perception has shown to be the
most rewarding aspect of my life. With the allowance of a few reasonable exceptions, I tend
to avoid holding any doctrine or belief as being complete and authoritative.

As for my background, Baptist was my family's spiritual drug of choice passed back and forth in
a dirty syringe of hypocrisy. By the time I had reached 18 years old, I had shrugged off my
family's imposed religion and began dabbling into Eastern thoughts of Spiritualism. At the age
of 20, I was a full fledged apostate with a one way ticket to hell in one hand and a book of
idolatry in the other. At least that is how my Christian community described it.

The outcome? I am fine and dandy! Looking forward to some interesting discussions.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Re: Hayden

Post by thebestofenergy »

Welcome! :)
What made you go vegan? How is veganism viewed where you live?
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

I went vegan partly because I had read a book on Far Eastern spiritualism not eating meat was a topic. Secondly, I lived out in a rural area of my hometown. Every winter we would butcher a hog to process its meat. At the time, it was my job to handle the intestines. I had to clean it with running water, turn it inside out...you get the picture. At night, I was unable to sleep from the stench of raw flesh, blood, and, hog intestinal waste. When I was old enough to make my own dietary decisions I made it. I no longer had to figuratively eat what I was told at the end of a rifle barrel pointed at me.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

How was Veganism viewed where I lived? It was not viewed (LOL) . Matter of fact the practice was as alien as UFO's. It was extremely difficult to get through a simple meal without the event turning into a Spanish Inquisition on Nazis torture chamber of the mind. My family was a meat and potato clan. A meal without some flesh deep fried or boiled was a sin of the highest caliber. But I have a very stubborn streak. Once I make up my mind to do or not do something, it requires some pretty serious solvent to get me unglued from my decision.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi Hayden, welcome!

I'm glad you've joined the forum.
Hayden wrote:As for my background, Baptist was my family's spiritual drug of choice passed back and forth in a dirty syringe of hypocrisy.
You have quite a way with words, I love it!

I look forward to reading more of your posts. I hope you enjoy it here!
PPP

Post by PPP »

Welcome Hayden!
It is always interesting to learn about other people's way forward in life (I'm not using the words to veganism/atheism because it sounds like a definite goal) and you certainly paint a vivid picture. :)
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Welcome to the forum Hayden. How do people in your life respond to your atheism and veganism?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

How do people in my life respond to my atheism and veganism?

Since veganism has become a new "health craze" and more main stream, the only comment I consistently receive from other people is that they tried eating just vegetables, but they needed their meat." and they rattle off reason's for their position. Usually, they are mostly curious as to how, I get my protein. Overall, I get positive feedback because my skin, health, and body is in superb shape from my eating habits. We end up having some wonderful discussions too.

The atheist part is a bit more tricky.
If I am among others who are liberal thinking and progressive, I come flat out and just self-identify as a seeker or agnostic/atheist.

On the other hand, if I am among fundamentalist Christians, cults, or people who are conditioned in a similar manner to Pavlov's dog and equate an atheist or a seeker to some Islamic lunatic running naked as a jay bird through the dessert carrying 8-gallon cans of lighter fluid strapped to his back with Duck tape, I will use a phrase similar to the following:

Instead of saying "Atheist" to identify the lack of a religious belief, I may say:

"In the past 100 or so years he (God/angels) seem to have visited a lot of people. I rather wait until he/they contact me personally also before deciding on a faith.

I have a real commitment issue with things that are not tangible or verifiable therefore I am waiting before deciding on a faith",

"I am seeking and waiting on an answer on which faith is correct",

or something along the line of:

"I am comfortable with my life. So, until I am ready to make such a long term commitment, I will continue on my current path without a faith and deal with any possible consequences later.

If the Christian is really obnoxious, I will state, " Right now there are too many religious faiths to choose from, and I might pick the wrong one resulting in a lot of wasted time, energy, and money."

There is a purpose for my evasiveness with the latter group. Saying "Atheist" immediately puts them on DEFCON 1 Alert! At that point they hear nothing you say. Their war heads are locked and aimed with their finger hoovering over the launch button. They equate you to the lunatic running barefoot in the dessert with lighter fluid. However, by softening the impact initially, they see you as being "unsaved" but still human and with "potential" to coming over to their dark side. This allow me some time to challenge their doctrines and perhaps plant a seed that will lead them over to our "bright" side.

If it is one of my family members, I say: Well, I don't say nothing. I gave up on them long time ago! They are a lost cause.