Hello

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
SK ting
Diet: Vegan

Hello

Post by SK ting »

Hi, I'm new here. I'm a Chinese male, an animal lover, a science tutor and an independent filmmaker residing in Singapore. Being a natural skeptic, I remain an atheist all along. I am here because I am outraged by the gruesome killings in Chinese cuisines, disgusted by Christian's aggressive attempts in oppressing LGBT rights in Singapore, concerned for the world in all it's environmental abuse, religious atrocities etc.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: Hello

Post by Jebus »

Welcome SK Ting. Sounds like you are at the right place.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi SK Ting,

Welcome, I'm glad you've joined the forum! :)

What first inspired you to go vegan?
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Welcome!

China scares me, is that justified?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote:China scares me, is that justified?
Why does it scare you?
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
miniboes wrote:China scares me, is that justified?
Why does it scare you?
Well, from what I've heard (could be completely false) you can get executed for saying something against the government in China. If a government like that controls a country so huge that makes me nervous.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote: Well, from what I've heard (could be completely false) you can get executed for saying something against the government in China. If a government like that controls a country so huge that makes me nervous.
Oh, nothing so dramatic as that.

China mostly just executes people for drug offenses, murder, rape, that kind of thing. Sometimes corruption too, but most non-violent stuff involves suspended death sentences.

You'd have to do a lot more than make an offhanded comment to even get jail time.
As I understand, it's mostly just journalists who are harshly critical of the government and publish/distribute anti-government material illegally. Or people who protested illegally (you have to apply for approval with local police to stage a protest).

Foreigners mostly just get deported for that kind of stuff.
PPP

Post by PPP »

Welcome SK ting!
I hope you can get, amongst other things, some moral support from this forum. My brother (also vegan) is currently living in Beijing and he can get a bit down with the way earthlings are treated.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

welcome to the forum SK ting. Is there a large (or any) animal rights organizations in Singapore? How do people you interact with respond to your veganism and atheism?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
SK ting

Post by SK ting »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:welcome to the forum SK ting. Is there a large (or any) animal rights organizations in Singapore? How do people you interact with respond to your veganism and atheism?
Being an atheist - Singapore is multi-racial and multi-cultural. The government here makes it a point to be secular in running its boards. So, in terms of living with constant intimidation by Christians and Muslims, the situation here is pale compared to the West as I watch on YouTube. The Buddhists are largely mild. Occasionally, I do encounter typical Christian comments (e.g. "If you don't believe in the Christ, you will go to hell.") that you have addressed in your videos.

Animal abuse - There's SPCA in Singapore but there have been complaints about how they swiftly put cats to sleep just because of random, unfounded complaints by cat haters. There's also the Cat Welfare Society which slowly grows in influence. Recently, because of animal abuse cases, the government is implementing stricter laws (up to $40 000 of fine and 2-year jail) covering various areas like handling animals in pet shops, transport...

Being vegan - I usually eat alone and so I don't face stress in having dinner with meat eaters. Vegetarian food used to be terrible in the past. Now, there are some nice Chinese and Indian vegetarian food outlets. Still, this country consists mainly of meat eaters who have no problem of seeing live frogs, fish, crabs stabbed and slaughtered for fresh tastes. No dogs, of course, given that it's a "dog-lover" country.

Is there a feature whereby I am informed of any new posts here through my mobile phone?