3 Month Vegan Here

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
TheVeganNimbus
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:47 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

3 Month Vegan Here

Post by TheVeganNimbus » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:56 pm

Hello all! I recently became vegan through self-researching the health benefits. Decided I needed to change my diet and I went all-out. Throughout these three months, I started to become more and more convinced in the vegan philosophy. I was originally introduced to veganism by my friend but she wasn't too convincing (she is a christian and mostly made the moral argument, which at the time did not change my opinion), but what finally pushed me over was watching Penn Gillette's transformation into plant-based dieting. Following his diet, I am down almost 70 lbs in three months. I feel great and am glad to have made the change!

edit: I am an atheist. Don't know if I made that clear anywhere.

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 8942
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:34 am

Welcome!

The moral argument coming from a theist might be unconvincing, but have you heard non-theistic moral arguments around animal suffering?
Are you familiar with moral concepts like utilitarianism? Like the notion that a world with less suffering is preferable to one with more, and how objectively speaking when it comes to suffering, arbitrary lines at species make about as much sense as arbitrary lines at race or gender?

User avatar
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1819
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:08 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by Jebus » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:37 am

Welcome, and congratulations to your improvements.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.

User avatar
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 2554
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: White House

Post by Red » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:33 pm

Hey VeganNimbus, how long have you been Vegan?
VOTE

Red For President
--------------------------
Blue For Vice President

2056
My Democratic Republic: https://discord.gg/ejHz43n

TheVeganNimbus
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:47 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by TheVeganNimbus » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:40 pm

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:34 am
Welcome!

The moral argument coming from a theist might be unconvincing, but have you heard non-theistic moral arguments around animal suffering?
Are you familiar with moral concepts like utilitarianism? Like the notion that a world with less suffering is preferable to one with more, and how objectively speaking when it comes to suffering, arbitrary lines at species make about as much sense as arbitrary lines at race or gender?
Sorry if I made some things unclear. I do currently support a moral argument for veganism, but back during my meat-eating-days, I was unconvinced by only that. Jeebus' "How to Become a Vegan in 4.5 Hours" was pretty useful for educating myself more on all three of the main arguments. Becoming vegan was like becoming an atheist for me, at least recently. I'm just one of those people who cannot go back on something that makes too much sense to me. Glad to be in this community!

TheVeganNimbus
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:47 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by TheVeganNimbus » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:41 pm

Jebus wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:37 am
Welcome, and congratulations to your improvements.
Thanks, glad to be here!

TheVeganNimbus
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:47 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by TheVeganNimbus » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:42 pm

Red wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:33 pm
Hey VeganNimbus, how long have you been Vegan?
Three months, but I only recently started educating myself on the moral and environmental benefits. Glad I came around.

User avatar
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 2554
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: White House

Post by Red » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:28 pm

TheVeganNimbus wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:42 pm
Red wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:33 pm
Hey VeganNimbus, how long have you been Vegan?
Three months, but I only recently started educating myself on the moral and environmental benefits. Glad I came around.
Oh, I didn't see the topic title! :P
VOTE

Red For President
--------------------------
Blue For Vice President

2056
My Democratic Republic: https://discord.gg/ejHz43n

TheVeganNimbus
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:47 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by TheVeganNimbus » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Red wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:28 pm
TheVeganNimbus wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:42 pm
Red wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:33 pm
Hey VeganNimbus, how long have you been Vegan?
Three months, but I only recently started educating myself on the moral and environmental benefits. Glad I came around.
Oh, I didn't see the topic title! :P
Haha, it's all good.

Jamie in Chile
Full Member
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:40 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:24 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests