Hello from Soycrates

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Soycrates
Diet: Vegan

Hello from Soycrates

Post by Soycrates »

Hello! I've just joined this forum after watching a few of the Vegan Atheist's videos. I was prompted to come check them out after receiving some messages over on my blog. If anyone here frequents Tumblr, you may have seen some of my posts (I'm not "tumblr famous" but a few informational posts have over 1, 10, and 100k notes). I enjoy the Vegan Atheist's upfront and rather talented presentation style, and decided it would be great to be able to discuss the topics brought up in these videos with its audience.

Some basic information about me: I'm 20, Canadian, a philosophy student with a vested interest in physics and general science and technology. I'm employed as a writer and I often get to write on topics of ethics (especially as it pertains to animal rights) and environmentalism. I'm currently writing an ebook called "No Bull, No Bucks: The Vegan Philosopher's Cookbook" (titled after my food side blog) which will offer low-income plant-based recipes as well as some introductory and engaging discussion on topics in philosophy, such as consciousness, skepticism, and the many different ways ethics is studied and has evolved over the years. In my free time, I play D&D, enjoy video games, and read (I like classic science fiction as well as some contemporary authors).

Veganism: I went vegan at the age of 16. The thing that turned me onto the path of learning more about veganism was being confronted with information concerning the dairy industry. I remember having a conversation with a vegan online, me trying to feebly defend my consumption of yogurt and fat free ice cream as if without these foods I'd be losing some vital part of my identity. They were firm yet understanding - they saw past my excuses and wanted to help me line up my beliefs with my practices. I try to take the same approach to advocacy as the person who helped me discover veganism: firm, unwavering civility and a passion to see reason prevail. I've helped a dozen or more people discover the same philosophy and I'm always glad to receive another message from someone citing me as their reason for going vegan.

Atheism: I was not raised in a household of any particular religion. I have family members who believe in a God, and some who even subscribe to a particular religion, and some more (though few) who attend church. My mother has standard yet unassuming values for the generation she grew up in: general belief in God, angels, heaven; general scrutiny for abortion, homosexuality, sexual freedom; minor racism and xenophobia (she was also a diligent meat eater before her two kids, me and my sister, went vegan - these days she really supports our veganism and generally makes sure we're accommodated for - she is still a meat eater, but she eats and lives a little healthier these days, even though neither me nor my sister are dieter/fitness types). I can't recall any point in my life where I would have said "God probably exists". There may have been times during my childhood when it would have been appropriate to call me agnostic rather than atheist, but that was at a time before I ever really thought about God or religion.

The time where I would have begun labeling myself atheist was probably around 12-15, though religion rarely came up as a topic of discussion at that age. The only "religious" people I knew were my peers, and nobody my age at the time was actually "religious", they were just part of a religious household. If their parents were Muslim, they would say they themselves were Muslim. If their parents were Catholic, they would say they themselves were Catholic. They could usually list off one or two things "we believe" but they weren't things they actively believed, but knew that was part of their religion. So, in a way, religion was treated as quietly and unassumingly as someone's ethnicity or where you were born, there wasn't much clash of worldviews or opinions going on.

I grew up to study philosophy and in doing so have participated in debates about religion and religious morals. I have encountered more staunchly religious people and opinions in adulthood and university, studied things like the Ontological Argument from classic philosophers among peers, reviewed religious philosophers such as Descartes or Spinoza, and studied ethics in a secular environment. I've taken courses on skepticism and the philosophy of science and empiricism that had heavy atheist leanings - there was even one lecture/class I remember where we talked a lot about "the four horsemen of new atheism". It was a fun class.

At this point in time I refer to myself as a "de-facto atheist". Although I may also be anti-theist by nature, I try to draw a clear line between anti-theism and xenophobia, particularly in regards to Middle Eastern cultures. When talking about anti-theism with other atheists I try to openly discuss the issue of how criticism of Islam should not include racism or sexism.

Thank you for reading (I know it was a little lengthy), and I hope to participate in this community soon!
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Hello from Soycrates

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hey,

Welcome to the forum!
Great to meet you, and great introductory post.

I look forward to debating you if we can find something suitable to debate about.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Excellent introduction. Welcome.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Welcome! I love your name.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Welcome to the forum. A few Canadian atheist vegan! wonderful. Where in Canada are you?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Soycrates

Post by Soycrates »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:Welcome to the forum. A few Canadian atheist vegan! wonderful. Where in Canada are you?
Southern Ontario!
Crocodilia

Post by Crocodilia »

Welcome to the forum. I enjoyed reading your introductory post. A lecture dedicated to the four horsemen and new atheism would be fun to attend.