Semi-new Canadian Vegan

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
fables1991
Diet: Vegan

Re: Semi-new Canadian Vegan

Post by fables1991 »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:31 pm
fables1991 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:04 pm Hey brimstone, thanks for the info! I do generally feel satisfied after my meals, and I don't find myself getting hungry or light headed between meals - but would you say that 10% is not enough for my body to be healthy?
I don't think 10% is enough on a 2,000 calorie diet.

But here's where % can go wrong: if you're an athlete and you eat a 5,000 calorie diet because you burn 4,000 calories of carbs every day, then 10% is just fine.

The fewer calories you eat, the larger a % protein needs to be.
Oh, interesting. See, I didn't know that fewer calories meant more protein - I honestly thought it would have been the other way around. Thank you, this has definitely been helpful
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

fables1991 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:36 pm Okay, back to the music. For Modest Mouse, I would recommend Bukowski and Night on the Sun – they’re my favorite songs hands down. They have a large discography, so I would see if you like those two, they give you a pretty good feel for their more recent stuff. Some of their first albums have a more experimental sounds (that’s the best I can describe it as, lol), and not everyone tends to like them. With Glass Animals, I would check out Life Itself and Youth.
Now, with rap, Kendrick Lamar is really, truly incredible. Listen to Cartoons and Cereal, absolutely. Then, find the version of a song called Untitled 1 that he performed on the Stephen Colbert show. That version of it in particular is just really good and the emotion he has while performing it live is awesome to watch. I admit I don’t listen to a lot of rap artists, I have some of Biggie and Tupac as well, but Kendrick is someone that I recommend to everyone.
I used to listen to a lot of metal when I was younger – I’ll definitely check out Blind Guardian and Amorphis. I still listen to a fair bit of Rage Against the Machine. For classic rock, I listen to Derek and the Dominos, Cream. Bob Dylan is an artist I heard SO much of growing up, that he’s just been adopted into my playlists. I got really into punk too for a bit when I was a young teenager, but unfortunately I don’t remember the band names!
The first Modest Mouse song was a little weird, tbh. But it was still pretty good. :) I really, really like Night on the Sun by Modest Mouse. It has interesting guitar playing and it flows well from section to section and kept my interest despite the extended version being over 9 min.

I liked Youth more between the two Glass Animals songs. It isn't a style I love, but both and Youth in particular sounded pretty good and were enjoyable.

Cartoons and Cereal was surprisingly pretty enjoyable to me. Seemed kind of depressing but in an interesting way, I didn't pick up on enough of the lyrics to tell what it was really about, but it had a kind of vibe that was interesting to me.

I couldn't be sure if the live song I heard was the correct one, but it was pretty decent.

Thanks for the recs. :) I really liked a couple, and all the others were at least pretty good and interesting.

I've been into metal since 2006 when I was 9 or 10 years old. But before then I was really into some classic rock and motown that my parents played in the car and around the house. Favourite band before anything metal was Queen, they really got me into music.

What were some metal bands you liked besides RatM? I remember enjoying Killing in the Name by them on Guitar Hero 2, aggressive but fun to play sort of song.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

fables1991 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:55 pm Oh, interesting. See, I didn't know that fewer calories meant more protein - I honestly thought it would have been the other way around. Thank you, this has definitely been helpful
Total protein requirements (in grams) do go up a tiny bit with more activity, but they don't go up as fast as calories burned go up, so as percentage of calories protein needs go down for the more calories consumed/burnt and up for less calories.

Hope that makes sense.