Greetings Vegans, from Toronto Canada! :)

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
aurelius_rising
Diet: Vegan

Greetings Vegans, from Toronto Canada! :)

Post by aurelius_rising »

Hello all!

I have newly discovered this site of yours (ours... :D )

I am fairly well educated on all things vegan/plant based in terms of diet. I wouldn't consider myself an expert quite just yet but I do have a firm grasp of the basic concepts to follow.

So why I'm here....

I love animals, I don't want to eat them anymore. I don't like what companies and individuals to these living creatures, its wrong imo. But I've grown up in a household where diet wasn't prioritized. I am not overweight, I come from an athletic background (play competitive hockey for over 20 years), but my health has been suffering as I have not been putting enough effort into eating greens and other veggies, legumes, etc.

I'm 26, try not to worry too much, but I want to dramatically overhaul my diet so that I never eat a piece of meat again!

Few things that I am looking to learn:

1. Simple and effective every day recipes (I eat oatmeal with berries and fruit and seeds in the morning every day) - looking for great lunch, dinner, snack ideas as staples of my diet
2. Recipes that are simple (don't ask for a thousand different ingredients)
3. An economical way of eating these foods in a balanced diet (I'm not a student, but I would like to learn how to eat frugally like one :lol: )

Thanks for the warm welcome, I look forward to chatting with you in the near future!

Peace & love my friends <3
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Greetings Vegans, from Toronto Canada! :)

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome!
Is there anything in particular that inspired you to go vegan? (a documentary or article?)

In terms of easy and filling foods that are cheap, your breakfast is a great start.

Aside from oats, you can't go wrong with beans. The trick is preparing them in different ways.

Do you like mexican food, curries, or hummus? You can usually prepare some big batches of beans and veggies with good seasoning, and use them over the week in wraps and sandwiches for lunch (varying each day). It's often useful to freeze some, since the more you prepare at once the easier it is.

Smoothies are also a great and quick option; you can prep ingredients all at once in individual bags and freeze them (then reuse the bags if you want to).
fables1991

Post by fables1991 »

Hey there! I'm new here as well (also Canadian, hi!). I don't think I can help a ton when it comes to eating balanced just yet, as I'm still learning that myself, but I have a fairly simple lentil meatball (for lack of a better term) recipe that is very filling and tasty. It's one can of lentils, one can of chickpeas, a grated carrot (all blended together in a blender or food processor), then whatever seasonings you like - I used garlic, paprika, and Cajun seasoning - some breadcrumbs, and then I bake them in the oven. One recipe can make enough for several dinner's worth. I usually eat them with some salad greens or something bulky and cheap like that.

Best of luck!
fables1991

Post by fables1991 »

Oh also, I forgot, save the chickpea water! You can make vegan meringues out of it. I didn't believe it at first but I made them the other day and they were amazing.