Hi from France!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
MorganAlix
Diet: Vegan

Hi from France!

Post by MorganAlix »

Hi everybody,

I live in Lille, north of France. I followed a link from Unnatural vegan to discover this forum. Excuse my english, i will (or i am) certainly make faults.

I teach philosophy in highschool since past year. I want to learn more about animal related ethics.

I just realised i let the setting "vegan" for my diet preferences, although i consider myself a vegetarian (i don't know how to change the setting). I've been vegetarian for 5 years, and i'm transitionning to veganism since about 6 months. Here in France it's difficult to do so, but it may be a topic for another discussion.

That was my little introduction of myself,
Have a great day!
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Hi from France!

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Morgan, that's great that you're working on going vegan. I'd say you're vegan at heart if that's your goal. :)

What do you think makes it difficult in France? I understand there's dairy in many dishes, and the government is anti-vegan, is that right?
MorganAlix

Post by MorganAlix »

Thanks for your kind response!

In France the physicists (it's how you call the family, or generalist doctor?) are not vegan friendly for sure, not even vegetarian friendly. I don't know any vegan in real life, and i met only two vegetarians in my entire life. It's not very common.
The vegan options in the restaurant or in supermarket (for convenient foods, cookies or so) are often non existant,or not easy to find. If i go to the restaurant, i take a vegetarian option (in most of traditional french cuisine, even vegetarian dishes are rare). Cheeses are everywhere, as you can guess :D Don't get me wrong i used to LOVE cheese, as a good French citizen. When i became to the realisation that dairy industry is also cruel, it has been a tough moment for me.

But there is some change for sure, and France may not be the worst place to become vegan (but clearly not the better haha). I'm priviledged enough to buy fancy vegan products from time to time in the organic store (but most of the time i eat lentils, beans and vegetables :D )
MorganAlix

Post by MorganAlix »

I just looked at the guide from the French Health agency (INPES): there a page for vegetarianism, and a tiny tiny section where it says that veganism cannot satisfy all the nutritional needs, can be harmful in the long term, and not suitable for pregnant women and children.

http://inpes.santepubliquefrance.fr/CFE ... mfiche=581
(just to link my sources ;) )
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Bienvenu Morgan,

True that Lille is not the best place for vegans, but Paris is making rapid improvements despite being very expensive for vegans.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
MorganAlix

Post by MorganAlix »

Hi Jebus,

That's true, Paris is a more trendy place; everything happens there before it spreads to the rest of the country. I hope (more, i know) that somedays we'll make improvements.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

MorganAlix wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:38 pm I just looked at the guide from the French Health agency (INPES): there a page for vegetarianism, and a tiny tiny section where it says that veganism cannot satisfy all the nutritional needs, can be harmful in the long term, and not suitable for pregnant women and children.

http://inpes.santepubliquefrance.fr/CFE ... mfiche=581
(just to link my sources ;) )
Wow, that's really terrible.

Americans complain about the USDA being in bed with animal agriculture, but at least they recognize that a vegan diet can be healthy and give advice on it.
MorganAlix

Post by MorganAlix »

Indeed :(

However INPES now promotes to eat more plant-based proteins like beans etc, and less meat; that a start.