Hello from California!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
BuddyMaltese
Diet: Vegan

Hello from California!

Post by BuddyMaltese »

Hi guys! I'm new to this forum, though I've been vegan for roughly 3.5 years and meat-free for almost 6 years.
I found this website through Lay Vegan's response to Blaire White on Youtube and thought it sounded neat :)
If you're curious at all about me, here are a few facts that I can think of off the top of my head:
  • My favorite vegan snacks are coconut date rolls, PB2 with bananas, and smoothies
  • I'm a university/college freshman from the U.S.
  • I'm an artist and am hoping to pursue a successful career in graphic design (examples of my art can be found here:https://www.instagram.com/buddymaltesestudios/)
  • I'm currently eating a pear, but it's kind of dry so I'm not sure why I'm eating it
  • I've got a dog named Buddy whom I love very much ♥
  • I once drove a dirt bike into a tree, so that was fun...
  • My favorite musical artists include Hozier, Oh Wonder, Foster the People, Avicii, and Linkin Park
  • My favorite T.V. shows include Bones, Psych, Pushing Daisies, Doctor Who, and Brooklyn 99
  • My favorite books are the Harry Potter series and Imaginarium Geographica series
  • I can't stop eating popcorn. Please help me. I am so full of popcorn at any given time. I'm pretty sure at least half of my body mass is just popcorn.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Re: Hello from California!

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

Hello! Are you studying graphic design as well?
BuddyMaltese

Post by BuddyMaltese »

Yep! I'm currently working on getting general education out of the way and from there will enroll in graphic-design oriented classes :)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome! I hope you like it here. What inspired you to give up meat/later go vegan?
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

You sound like an interesting person!

What part of California are you from? I've spent a lot of time there, and I love north "Cali" for the scenery and weather, but mid and south have some nice parts as well. I particularly miss Ontario; they had a sushi restaurant that did a vegetable(Vegan) roll that was AMAZING!, and I haven't been able to find one as good since. (Fresh avocado and I believe some kind of apricot dressing, with various sprouts... I miss it soo much.. :cry: )

Nice to see I'm not the only person who has ever drove a motorbike into a tree! :D (Luckily, the thorn bushes slowed me down first....)

Nice to meet you!

Edit- I watched the video of Lay Vegan responding to Blair, and I thought he made some really good points. (I do like Blair; I don't always agree with her, but I find her intriguing..) I really didn't get her saying that taking B12 supplements could somehow be detrimental to her liver.... seems like the other meds would be much worse.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
BuddyMaltese

Post by BuddyMaltese »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:51 pm Welcome! I hope you like it here. What inspired you to give up meat/later go vegan?
I initially went vegetarian for ethical reasons, and two years later went vegan (also for ethical reasons). I had watched a video called "From Farm to Fridge" and after that I gave up all animal products over night. Now that I've been vegan for so long, I find myself committing to it for environmental reasons as well :)
PsYcHo wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:36 am You sound like an interesting person!

What part of California are you from? I've spent a lot of time there, and I love north "Cali" for the scenery and weather, but mid and south have some nice parts as well. I particularly miss Ontario; they had a sushi restaurant that did a vegetable(Vegan) roll that was AMAZING!, and I haven't been able to find one as good since. (Fresh avocado and I believe some kind of apricot dressing, with various sprouts... I miss it soo much.. :cry: )

Nice to see I'm not the only person who has ever drove a motorbike into a tree! :D (Luckily, the thorn bushes slowed me down first....)

Nice to meet you!

Edit- I watched the video of Lay Vegan responding to Blair, and I thought he made some really good points. (I do like Blair; I don't always agree with her, but I find her intriguing..) I really didn't get her saying that taking B12 supplements could somehow be detrimental to her liver.... seems like the other meds would be much worse.
Thank you! I'm from more of the mid-southern part of Cali. I've been to north Cali a few times and I quite like it; there's a lot of beautiful desert scenery up there. I've also been to Ontario, though I've never had that amazing vegan sushi! It sounds delicious so I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for it the next time I'm there :)
I'm also surprised to have met someone else that has had a similar motorbike experience, though yours sounds a bit more painful with the thorn bushes omg

I also enjoy some of Blaire's videos. I think she makes good points and offers insight into political opinions that differ from mine.
From what I've heard she's actually retracted the liver comment on a livestream, though I feel like a formal acknowledgement on her part would be better (perhaps on twitter or YouTube) since that misinformation is still up there and has the potential to influence people who don't know better.

---
(Also, I hope it's alright I quoted the whole posts. I figured it was in compliance with the ninth forum rule seeing as I wanted to respond to each part)
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

BuddyMaltese wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:39 am
Thank you! I'm from more of the mid-southern part of Cali. I've been to north Cali a few times and I quite like it; there's a lot of beautiful desert scenery up there. I've also been to Ontario, though I've never had that amazing vegan sushi!
I enjoyed the southern dessert scenery, northern is mostly hills and trees from what I've seen. I stayed mostly on "the" 5, but also 99. "Weed" California is my favorite, not just because of the name, but it has beautiful scenery... when it isn't snowing. Mt.Shasta is beautiful.

BuddyMaltese wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:39 am I'm also surprised to have met someone else that has had a similar motorbike experience, though yours sounds a bit more painful with the thorn bushes omg
I'm not at all surprised, those of us who take to two wheels and an engine are likely to have a few...bumps. And personally I thought yours sounded more painful, the thorns really did slow me down, so I only "bumped" the tree. :D
BuddyMaltese wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:39 am (Also, I hope it's alright I quoted the whole posts. I figured it was in compliance with the ninth forum rule seeing as I wanted to respond to each part)
The most important rule on this forum is to be genuine, and not hostile to others. The admins here will let you know if you break a rule, but unless you do it consistently after being warned about it, you'll be fine.

Start a thread or reply to others freely. :D
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
BuddyMaltese

Post by BuddyMaltese »

There's definitely a lot more of California that I'd like to visit! I've lived here all my life, but haven't had the opportunity to explore some of the more beautiful places.

Thank you for the warm welcome, this place seems like just the kind of environment that I've been looking for :)