Hello from a new vegan

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
rarity
Diet: Vegan

Hello from a new vegan

Post by rarity »

Hi everyone! I'm rarity and I recently started going vegan. Not so hard for me since I actually like a lot of the vegan food and I know how to cook it already. It was pretty much just for health reason at first but after watching a debate between Vegan Gains(with Ask Yourself) and Andywarski (they are YouTubers) it changed my mind about the ethical aspect of it so I'm planning to stay vegan. For real Vegan Gains threatened to slit my throat if I didn't go vegan so I have no choice.

I also have 2 questions here.

1. I actually talked about it with a friend who got angry at me for calling him a bad person because he eats meat and then started going overly sarcastic and taking everything out of context and laughing. So the thing is I think he's a bad person for eating meat while knowing that it's unethical and knowing the suffering he causes to the animals that is unnecessary but doesn't care. Do you think that makes him a bad person for knowing all of that but still not caring?

2. There is one thing I would find hard. It's not accepting gifts, like there is someone you like or want to make you happy and give you a gift that is not vegan. How would you deal with that? I don't want to make anyone feel sad for not accepting a gift.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: Hello from a new vegan

Post by PsYcHo »

rarity wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:46 am So the thing is I think he's a bad person for eating meat while knowing that it's unethical and knowing the suffering he causes to the animals that is unnecessary but doesn't care. Do you think that makes him a bad person for knowing all of that but still not caring?
Unrelated -Rainbow Dash is 20% cooler

Nice to meet you! You could start a new thread on this topic if you'd like. :D
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome rarity! Hope you like it here.

There are many ways to define good and bad people.

Overall consequences: how much good they do in their lives vs. bad. In this way, somebody can be a murderer but do a lot of charity and save more lives than he or she kills, thus coming out as a good person in the end.

Effort: How much effort does a person put into being a better person and causing more good and less bad. In this sense, it's a question of whether your friend is trying to do better. Going vegan is harder for some, easier for others. The question is if he's even trying to reduce his meat consumption at all. Meatless Mondays? How about vegan meals just when it's really convenient?

ANY effort at all can indicate some good character. If somebody won't lift a finger to prevent any amount of suffering, that looks pretty bad.

Maybe he just doesn't understand?
rarity

Post by rarity »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:30 am Overall consequences: how much good they do in their lives vs. bad. In this way, somebody can be a murderer but do a lot of charity and save more lives than he or she kills, thus coming out as a good person in the end.

Effort: How much effort does a person put into being a better person and causing more good and less bad. In this sense, it's a question of whether your friend is trying to do better. Going vegan is harder for some, easier for others. The question is if he's even trying to reduce his meat consumption at all. Meatless Mondays? How about vegan meals just when it's really convenient?

ANY effort at all can indicate some good character. If somebody won't lift a finger to prevent any amount of suffering, that looks pretty bad.

Maybe he just doesn't understand?
No, he just doesn't care and doesn't even make an effort. As for the good vs bad well, he's at home all day either playing games, watching movies, cleaning, programming, reading and all the usual things people do at home.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

rarity wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:45 pm No, he just doesn't care and doesn't even make an effort.
Somebody who doesn't care about harming others (including humans, we can't forget about the effects of global warming) and won't lift a finger to do less harm, and this is regardless of veganism, is very hard to call a good person. There are plenty of good people who aren't vegan, but it still means making an effort in some way at least.
rarity wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:45 pmAs for the good vs bad well, he's at home all day either playing games, watching movies, cleaning, programming, reading and all the usual things people do at home.
So, basically not a humanitarian of any description. Unless that programming is for a human rights organization working to topple dictators or something?
rarity

Post by rarity »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:52 pm
rarity wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:45 pmAs for the good vs bad well, he's at home all day either playing games, watching movies, cleaning, programming, reading and all the usual things people do at home.
So, basically not a humanitarian of any description. Unless that programming is for a human rights organization working to topple dictators or something?
Programming just as a hobby so no. I also do programming as a hobby myself.