Is it ethical to use products from my non-vegan days

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Bebop SpaceBoy
Diet: Vegan

Is it ethical to use products from my non-vegan days

Post by Bebop SpaceBoy »

Hi, i live in africa (not the most friendly place for vegans) and I am constantly berated for my ethical belief that the same "thing" that entitles me to life must entitle animals to life. I digress, is it ethical to use products from my non-vegan days. I didn't think so because I do not find anything wrong with freeganism because it doesn't actually support the killing of innocent animals. What do you guys think?
Dream Sphere

Re: Is it ethical to use products from my non-vegan days

Post by Dream Sphere »

Hi Bebop SpaceBoy, welcome to the forum!

I think you're right in comparing eating left over animal products which you got before you went vegan to freeganism. The only ethical concern I can think of with your case which also applies to freeganism is if the animal products could go to someone else who would've otherwise bought more animal products, essentially as a means to displace an animal product purchase made by someone else.

It could be more hassle than it's worth if you don't have a foodbank which would accept particular items which you may or may not have, or non-vegan family members who would want the animal products you have. So don't worry if you feel the most practical option is to eat the leftover animal products yourself, better to not let them go to waste if no one else wants them.

Also, do you supplement B12? Are fortified plant milks available in your part of Africa? How do you get your calcium? It is possible to get it from lots of dark leafy greens, but I personally find stuff like fortified soy milk to be a lot more convenient.

By the way, I hope you stick around the forum, there're some people here, much more knowledgable than me, who can provide a lot of support with issues that may come up for you from being vegan.

Best wishes on you having an easy time with the new lifestyle.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Is it ethical to use products from my non-vegan days

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome, I think Dream Sphere already answered very well. I wouldn't worry about using them up, that's fine, but if it's easy to give them away then that's better.

I hope you like the forum!