Greetings from Mauritius

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Greetings from Mauritius

Post by Jebus »

So nice to find a forum dedicated to the battle against selfishness and stupidity. I was not raised in a religious family and I have been an agnostic most of my life although I am leaning more and more towards atheism. I grew up in a carnivore family and it took me almost 30 years to shake that beast off my back. I have now been completely vegan almost 10 years. I live in a small developing nation where I am yet to meet another atheist or another vegan. Hence I am starving for some thought provoking discussions.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Re: Greetings from Mauritius

Post by miniboes »

Wow, I was not even aware of an island named Mauritius. I see it's named after Dutch prince Maurice van Nassau, so, you're welcome I guess. Speaking of being welcome, welcome to the forums! How developed is your nation? Is access to internet normal, or are you among more privileged people? What is the standard diet of Mauritius? What led you to veganism?

Interesting, I see religion is quite diverse, the largest group being Hinduism, then Islam and Christianity. Is there a lot of conflict between the religious groups?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Hi Miniboes,

Mauritius can be considered one of the wealthiest and most developed of the African countries, No one here is starving but about 10% of the people live without electricity and running water. The median salary is about 250 USD per month. Internet connection has gone from really bad to pretty decent over the last decade. Mauritius prides itself of its lack of conflict between the religious groups. All the religious holidays are respected, so Muslims are happy as they don't have to work on Christmas, and Christians are happy because they don't have to work on Divali etc. The downside to this religious tolerance is that saying anything slightly negative about any of the main religions could get you beaten up and possibly imprisoned so I have to exercise a lot of restraint.

Even as a kid, I felt bad about eating animals. It somehow felt wrong. However, I believed that nature had intended for humans to eat animals. My first 15 years of adulthood were just a big blur of women and alcohol but once I distanced myself from that I gave the issue more thought. Once I learned that human beings are herbivores by nature I could no longer justify eating meat. I was a lacto vegetarian for four years but when I began learning more about the atrocities of the dairy industry I decided to become vegan. Best choice I ever made.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

welcome to the forum Jebus. Ive never heard of Mauritus, however I have heard of Seychelles which is relatively "close" to you. Are there any other vegans and atheists on Mauritus?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Thank you VeganAtheist. I am yet to meet any other vegans in Mauritius. As there are lots of Hindus there are however lots of lacto vegetarians. I recently discovered that there is a Vegan Mauritius Society Facebook page where a few Mauritian vegans are posting.

It's hard to know if there are any atheists among the Mauritians. Everyone seems connected to either of the main religions. The Mauritians are largely uneducated and as family ties are very strong it is unlikely for a person to go down the atheist path as they could lose a large sense of community. I am born in Sweden and have only lived here 11 years, so I come from a different background.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi Jebus,

Welcome!

What made you move there?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Hi BrimstoneSalad, moved here because of work. Stayed here because of the women.