Hello from sunny Nevada.

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
deadeye68
Diet: Meat-Eater

Hello from sunny Nevada.

Post by deadeye68 »

Hello everyone. Hope everyone's having a good day/evening. I suppose a little background about me before I explain why I decided to join said forum. Came from a long line of veterans My grandfather in WW2 and my father Vietnam. My turn was the Gulf War. I served in the 75th rangers regiment 1st battalion. Then served again after the 9/11 attacks. I grew up in a household where hunting was commonplace but not forced upon us. My father and grandfather said just let us know if you ever want to join us after I reach 10 years of age. At 10 I decided to join and engage with them on a hunt and since then, I've been a hunter and once I reached adulthood that was my way of procuring meat. The number of times I've purchased meat for my family I could count on one hand. Not so sure about my wife Since while I was in service I obviously couldn't hunt. But long story short fast forward and I'm now 50 and retired. I have 2 children twins at that. One has recently become vegan and she has been open about my hunting and whatnot. I shall explain in another post. But yeah thank you for your time. Best wishes.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Hello from sunny Nevada.

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome deadeye, it's rare to meet somebody who procures meat exclusively by hunting instead of from grocery/slaughterhouses/farms. There's a good argument to be made that such methods are more ethical and environmentally sustainable, so it could be a lesser of two evils compared to the alternative (obviously we still prefer veganism, but it's good to see anybody who doesn't support animal agriculture).

I look forward to seeing your post. :)
deadeye68

Post by deadeye68 »

In the end hunting seems cheaper in the long run. And you get a higher yield of meat and It gives me an excuse to travel all over the place so I was sold. There's times where I did have to buy meat but it was few and far between.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

deadeye68 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:16 am There's times where I did have to buy meat but it was few and far between.
Would you be open minded to sticking exclusively to hunted meat, and passing on the meat if it's farmed? There are some good high-protein vegetarian options today, available pretty widely.
deadeye68

Post by deadeye68 »

I'm pretty exclusive to hunting meat. Since I live alone now it's mostly small game but once In awhile I'll get a elk or boar tag. The last time I bought meat was some time ago. So it is a very rare thing for me to buy meat.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

I hunted a few times in my youth, so I have a lot of respect for those who provide for their families by hunting.

I'm curious; Your daughter is a Vegan and accepts that you hunt. Are you curious about Vegans to be able understand your daughter's choices, or are you just curious about Veganism in general?

Either way, nice to meet you, and I look forward to you joining in conversations. :)
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PsYcHo, when he said "open" I don't think he meant accepting. At least, from the other thread they seem to be having problems.
deadeye68 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:26 am I'm pretty exclusive to hunting meat. Since I live alone now it's mostly small game but once In awhile I'll get a elk or boar tag. The last time I bought meat was some time ago. So it is a very rare thing for me to buy meat.
So it would be pretty easy for you to make that commitment, right? It's something to consider, anyway.

I would bet that if you made the commitment to never buy or eat farmed meat, and researched and talked about the problems of animal agriculture and modern farming, that would give you something to talk about with your daughter and show that you really hear her concerns and respect her opinion. Even a small gesture like that can mean a lot.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:40 am PsYcHo, when he said "open" I don't think he meant accepting.
a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step....
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.