Hello From Texas!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
orcsanddragons
Diet: Reducetarian

Re: Hello From Texas!

Post by orcsanddragons »

Dream Sphere wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:27 pm
I didn't know that about Shadow of War. Are the loot boxes just for online play? I can fully understand not wanting to support a pay to win system, but personally I'm more interested in the single player, so as long as the game isn't super difficult in single player without loot boxes I'll personally be okay. It's good that you're boycotting this bad system of microtransactions though, the consumers do need to speak up against these anti-consumer practices. I think I might wait on buying the game until it's really cheap tbh, just so I don't give them as much, but I am planning on buying the game eventually because it looked like a good sequel to the first one which I liked playing a lot.

I've heard of Type O Negative, they play a style of gothic rock/doom metal right? Haven't checked them out besides a few songs though. Do you have a few favourites from them which you could recommend to me?
It does affect single player and that's my main issue with it. Basically the whole nemesis system is built around the loot boxes in the sense that you do not have to buy them but the game is unbalanced and tedious which causes some to want to purchase them. If this game was free I would not care but if I'm paying a premium price I should be getting premium content. I think there are worse offenders for loot boxes out there as well, and these companies are within their legal right (as of now) to implement these systems, but I find it extremely offensive and manipulative. I blame the publishers over the developers most of the time. Some have anonymously reached out and claimed psychologists are consulted to explain how to make loot boxes more addictive and have the same effects on the brain as gambling. This just disgusts me, but on a lighter note I have recently got into playing Stardew Valley on my nintendo switch. It's really fun although I am starting to wonder about the changing my farm to be all vegan lol :lol:

Some recommendations for type o negative would be their albums October Rust, World Coming Down, and Bloody Kisses. Those tend to be my favs. World Coming Down has a really cool Beatles' medley cover and what I consider one of their best songs Creepy Green Light.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Hello From Texas!

Post by brimstoneSalad »

orcsanddragons wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:34 am Yes, I drink soylent (the cacao version is the best) twice a day. It has high protein so I get 40 grams of protein from that and then make up the rest with my non vegan dinner.
Soylent is more adequate in protein rather than high in it; it has a balance of macros, which may not be beneficial for weight loss so much as maintenance.

Nothing against Soylent, but you might want to pick up a meal replacement with a higher ratio of protein (which is satiating). 100+ grams of protein a day is more likely to fill you up. It's nutritionally unnecessary, but good for weight loss.

A reusable bottle can make it pretty easy to make the same shake for breakfast and prepare one for lunch.

The drawback of higher protein options is they may not be as palatable (some are chalky), but if you aren't too worried about taste it can be a great option.

orcsanddragons wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:34 amI actually really enjoy cooking vegan meals a lot but i 'm a college student so I usually don't have a lot of time to plan out something that would give me most of the nutrients I need and on top of that I am trying to lose about 40 pounds of weight. I am currently in the overweight/obese territory of BMI. So I like something that is easy to count the calories instead of having to figure it out through individual ingredients if I cook.
If you figure out a couple recipes, you only have to do it once for each one. If you use cronometer (or something like it), that will give you the nutrient breakdown and calories.
A digital kitchen scale is really important.

For a student I'd typically recommend going with things like sandwiches and wraps which are good portable lunch options.
For dinner, if you have a small crock pot, you can make mixes of beans and veggies, and use different kinds of spices and sauces to vary it.

A general focus on beans and vegetables is ideal, the high protein and fiber is filling without providing too many calories.
You might need to invest in some bean-zyme (http://www.bean-zyme.com/index.htm), but it's worth it for the satiation and nutrition they provide.