Relating to non-vegans

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Samforest
Diet: Vegan

Relating to non-vegans

Post by Samforest »

Hey
I find myself losing respect for friends and acquaintances who are sympathetic to animal rights and healthy living but will not become vegetarian, never mind vegan. I find them hypocritical and weak willed. They will like and share things on facebook but just cannot give up cheese or a big mac or whatever. I do not lecture people about it, or refuse to eat with them. I hope my example may give them a push thay need, but doesn't seem to work. My wife, family and best friends are included in this. This has become an issue for me, the toughest thing about being vegan. I sometimes consider going all radical and making a lot of noise but dont imagine that will help either. I have been vegan for 5 years and vegetarian for 40. I want to be open minded about their choices, but I'm not really. I think they are all wrong. Any advice?
Sam
sykkelmannen
Diet: Freegan

Re: Relating to non-vegans

Post by sykkelmannen »

Hi Sam,
I feel you brother, I really do. Struggling with the same thing. I have arrived at the conclusion that people always do what they must. When the time is right, the change will come about. Have no doubt you're doing your friends and acquaintances a huge favor just by being there and being seen. This will indeed make their transition a whole lot easier and faster when the time comes.

It's called Cassandra complex. You know you're right, sort of have the recipe to "save the world" and nobody's there to listen. Sometimes I'd like to bang my head against the wall to silence the feeling of powerlessness. It's a crushing feeling. But the change DOES happen every day. One by one, people begin to see today what they couldn't see yesterday.

To deal with this, I do what I must. I take my "hugs" sign out on the street, and I share my thoughts on animal rights with everyone that cares to ask why I'm giving hugs to strangers. I organize vegan dinners in my home. I don't bash people, I keep it friendly. I like to ask tough questions tho. Some people can appreciate it. What's your favorite form of activism? Cos really, there's only that much one can do. I wish you all the best :)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Sam,
Samforest wrote: ↑Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:48 am I find myself losing respect for friends and acquaintances who are sympathetic to animal rights and healthy living but will not become vegetarian, never mind vegan.
Have you tried food evangelism, and starting them off slow? If you introduce them to delicious vegan food and ask for small changes, they may be more likely to go further.

For example, ask them to try meatless Mondays.
Samforest wrote: ↑Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:48 amMy wife, family and best friends are included in this.
Family and friends are one thing, but not being able to respect your spouse is a pretty big deal, particularly if you're living together.
How have you talked about this with her? Has she expressed her concerns? And is she a really big meat eater?
Samforest

Post by Samforest »

Thanks guys. Realized I need to focus on the positives. I have actually influenced a couple of people to start making changes in their diets and that feels good. And my wife is getting there too. I guess I judge those closest to me a bit more harshly than others. I became vegan for my own peace of mind and health and no sense sabotaging that good feeling with un-met expectations of others.
Love
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

That's great to hear they're making progress.

If you ask them if they have any reservations, maybe we can help answer those questions/concerns.

Otherwise, as long as you keep working on it with positivity they'll probably get there.
It's particularly unusual for a spouse not to catch up, since you're so close as a support network.