Hello from Prague.

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Hello from Prague.

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Canastenard wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:25 pm Are you sure advising watermelon as a lysine source is a good idea?
Yes and no. I wouldn't recommend it for somebody who CAN eat beans, but it's actually pretty good per calorie.

Since somebody eating watermelon will probably use it to replace other fruit in the diet, it can give the needed boost very easily.
It DOES mean you have to eat a little less of other fruit though. If you replace other foods with it you may end up low in protein.

But looking at the numbers, just 300 calories of watermelon has 25% [fixed, messed up my math or something] of your lysine needs. That's twice as much as wheat per calorie.

If you use concentrated protein sources like seitan, of course that has more lysine because it has so much more protein, but watermelon is pretty respectable and it beats pretty much all grains on a per calorie basis.
Canastenard wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:25 pmEven white rice according to cronometer containst twice as much overall lysine compared to watermelon.
By volume maybe, but not per calorie.
Canastenard wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:25 pmAnd I'm pretty sure watermelon isn't available in all seasons.
I think it depends on your region.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Raniya15 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:36 pm I am vegan 12 days, vegetarian for 2 month and I yesterday catch a cold:(, but everywhere information that when you begin to be vegan you dont catch a cold. I supposed to be not good vegan, I do some mistakes, examle I dont have lysine... Or it is normal in the beginning catch a cold?
A cold is a virus, going vegan can't help very much with that, but it might help a little bit. It's probably just bad luck.

Hypothetically, going vegan is probably more useful against bacteria and against some kinds of cancer, but it would still take many months to see those benefits. (Of course anybody with cancer should also get chemotherapy, the combination of a low methionine vegan diet and chemotherapy will have the best chance, depending on the cancer type)

1200 calories is probably not enough. Most people need to eat 1500. You might be under-weight. If you gain some weight (by eating more calories) you may feel better. Low weight can result in a weaker immune system, weakness, etc. This could be the reason for your cold... but it's probably just bad luck (anybody can catch a cold if somebody sneezes on them).

What is your BMI?

It's more important to track nutrients than calories unless you are overweight or underweight.
Counting calories is useful if those situations.

You should probably increase your hemp seeds to 1/4 cup a day.
Cronometer will help you know if you need to increase it though. It depends on what else you're eating.
Raniya15

Post by Raniya15 »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:22 pm
Raniya15 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:36 pm I am vegan 12 days, vegetarian for 2 month and I yesterday catch a cold:(, but everywhere information that when you begin to be vegan you dont catch a cold. I supposed to be not good vegan, I do some mistakes, examle I dont have lysine... Or it is normal in the beginning catch a cold?
A cold is a virus, going vegan can't help very much with that, but it might help a little bit. It's probably just bad luck.

Hypothetically, going vegan is probably more useful against bacteria and against some kinds of cancer, but it would still take many months to see those benefits. (Of course anybody with cancer should also get chemotherapy, the combination of a low methionine vegan diet and chemotherapy will have the best chance, depending on the cancer type)

1200 calories is probably not enough. Most people need to eat 1500. You might be under-weight. If you gain some weight (by eating more calories) you may feel better. Low weight can result in a weaker immune system, weakness, etc. This could be the reason for your cold... but it's probably just bad luck (anybody can catch a cold if somebody sneezes on them).

What is your BMI?

It's more important to track nutrients than calories unless you are overweight or underweight.
Counting calories is useful if those situations.

You should probably increase your hemp seeds to 1/4 cup a day.
Cronometer will help you know if you need to increase it though. It depends on what else you're eating.
BMI I have 18,7: I eat every mornig I eat oatmeal, fruits, or buckweat and fruits, banana, everyday some fruits, today I eat tomato-garlic soup with buckweat, rice, and then banana, and then salat. Thats all.
And i eat everyday germinated green buckwheat, sauerkraut without salt. What do you think about this, are they healthy?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

You should try to eat more calories and increase your BMI to 21. You will probably feel better.

Oatmeal and buckwheat are good. But you may be eating too much sweet fruit. Tomato is very good, your soup sounds healthy. You should eat more cooked green vegetables. Start with a smaller amount, and gradually increase each week until you eat about 0.5 kg of dark green vegetables (like broccoli) each day. If you increase vegetables too quickly it may cause gas and bloating. A slow increase can help prevent this.
Raniya15

Post by Raniya15 »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:39 pm You should try to eat more calories and increase your BMI to 21. You will probably feel better.

Oatmeal and buckwheat are good. But you may be eating too much sweet fruit. Tomato is very good, your soup sounds healthy. You should eat more cooked green vegetables. Start with a smaller amount, and gradually increase each week until you eat about 0.5 kg of dark green vegetables (like broccoli) each day. If you increase vegetables too quickly it may cause gas and bloating. A slow increase can help prevent this.
ok, thank you very much:). You are right, i prefer fruits, then vegetables. I will eat more vegetables. Tomorrow I will cook stuffed peppers with rice and buckwheat. But I read, and raw vegan says cooked green vegetables loss vitamines, and then they are empty, what do you think about this?
Canastenard

Post by Canastenard »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:10 pm
Canastenard wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:25 pm Are you sure advising watermelon as a lysine source is a good idea?
Yes and no. I wouldn't recommend it for somebody who CAN eat beans, but it's actually pretty good per calorie.

Since somebody eating watermelon will probably use it to replace other fruit in the diet, it can give the needed boost very easily.
It DOES mean you have to eat a little less of other fruit though. If you replace other foods with it you may end up low in protein.

But looking at the numbers, just 300 calories of watermelon has 100% of your lysine needs. That's twice as much as wheat per calorie.

If you use concentrated protein sources like seitan, of course that has more lysine because it has so much more protein, but watermelon is pretty respectable and it beats pretty much all grains on a per calorie basis.
300 calories of fresh watermelon according to cronometer corresponds to one kilogram. I don't expect anyone to eat such a high volume of fruit especially for protein. It sounds like it's more reasonable to suggest dried watermelon rather than fresh, so the lysine can be concentrated and it's practical to eat that much calories of watermelon.

Are you really sure that this amount of watermelon provides 100% of needed lysine though? This number of calories of watermelon provides 0.6 grams of lysine, and an average adult has daily needs of 38 milligrams for each kilogram of body weight. For a 70 kg adult, that's 2.66 grams needed per day. So 300 calories of watermelon barely have one quarter of that person's daily needs in lysine, and even for someone who weighs less it's not going to be 100%.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:10 pm
Canastenard wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:25 pmEven white rice according to cronometer containst twice as much overall lysine compared to watermelon.
By volume maybe, but not per calorie.
Neither by volume of calorie, I calculated by weight (100 grams each). But you're right it's not by calorie.
Appeal to nature: the strange belief that what is perceived as "natural" is necessarily safer, more effective or morally superior compared to what isn't.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Canastenard wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:03 pm 300 calories of fresh watermelon according to cronometer corresponds to one kilogram. I don't expect anyone to eat such a high volume of fruit especially for protein. It sounds like it's more reasonable to suggest dried watermelon rather than fresh, so the lysine can be concentrated and it's practical to eat that much calories of watermelon.
It's pretty easy to eat that much watermelon if you like watermelon. It mostly serves as your beverage (you don't need to drink anything that meal).

Dried watermelon would be a better source. Didn't know that was available.

But...
Canastenard wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:03 pm Are you really sure that this amount of watermelon provides 100% of needed lysine though? This number of calories of watermelon provides 0.6 grams of lysine, and an average adult has daily needs of 38 milligrams for each kilogram of body weight. For a 70 kg adult, that's 2.66 grams needed per day. So 300 calories of watermelon barely have one quarter of that person's daily needs in lysine, and even for someone who weighs less it's not going to be 100%.
You're right, I messed up my math or saw something incorrectly. :D I was rushing to post because I had to go.

I was mostly just comparing it to other foods, where it gives a fair boost.
If you swap other fruit for watermelon, even getting 25% of your needs is going to go a long way to boosting your supply that you get from other food.

It's superfluous if you can eat beans, but if you can't it seems like a sensible thing to do. Unless you just boost your total protein, but then that's going to make it difficult to eat any fruit if beans are off the table.
Raniya15

Post by Raniya15 »

i man told me, that I have to drink supplements with lysine, what do you think about this? Is it good to drink supplmenets?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Raniya15 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:29 am i man told me, that I have to drink supplements with lysine, what do you think about this? Is it good to drink supplmenets?
It's fine to drink a supplement or take a pill, or add it to your food (pure lysine comes as a powder, I think).

The most important supplements are B-12 and vitamin D, but for you lysine could be very useful since you can't eat beans.
Raniya15

Post by Raniya15 »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:09 pm
Raniya15 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:29 am i man told me, that I have to drink supplements with lysine, what do you think about this? Is it good to drink supplmenets?
It's fine to drink a supplement or take a pill, or add it to your food (pure lysine comes as a powder, I think).

The most important supplements are B-12 and vitamin D, but for you lysine could be very useful since you can't eat beans.
tomorrow I will eat lentlis, and first time in my life soy milk. I hope, I will not have allergie:D, pls, wish me luck :).
B12 I drink every day. Vitamne D has hemp seeds as I know. Or no?