Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Neo
Diet: Vegan

Post by Neo »

Hi all,

I'm planning to adopt the Vegan lifestyle very soon, but before I do that, there's been something bothering me a bit and wanted the Vegan community help me in trying to figuring this out. That is, whether some of these claims from some health documentaries are making.

I've watched a health documentary called "Force Over Knives" and more recently, "What the Health!" which advocates "Whole Foods Plant based " life style. After I finished watching the films, I couldn't but help ask, instead of saying whole food plant based diet, why don't they simply disclose themselves as Vegans; that is, they're advocating Veganism. Begin a skeptic, isn't this documentary a possible disguise for Veganism? They seems to have convincing arguments for going vegan because of the harm that a non Vegan diet can do to our health, but I can't help but think a lot of this can be a front to promoting Veganisim. I have nothing against Veganism but at the same time, I don't think we should present something as truth under the guise of something else if it isn't so. I am conflicted and torn. Lot of the participants are well regarded professionals and Id like to think these are honest good people who ware trying to help everyone. Also, I wouldn't mind advocating going Vegan for it's obvious health benefits and not harming animals but not simply on the basis of not killing animals for food.

Enlighten me.

Thanks.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: Newbie

Post by Jebus »

Welcome Neo,
Neo wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:29 pm instead of saying whole food plant based diet, why don't they simply disclose themselves as Vegans; that is, they're advocating Veganism.
Most, but not all, people on a plant based diet are vegans. Some people are on this diet for health reasons and couldn't care less about wearing leather or silk. Even if the movie creators are vegan, they probably realize the negative connotations associated with the word and believe they can reach a wider audience by saying "plant based".

Neo wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:29 pm Begin a skeptic, isn't this documentary a possible disguise for Veganism? They seems to have convincing arguments for going vegan because of the harm that a non Vegan diet can do to our health, but I can't help but think a lot of this can be a front to promoting Veganisim.
So what? A good strategy is a good strategy. Dr. Greger has been criticized for rarely using the word "vegan" and never talking about the ethical aspects of veganism (even though he has been an ethical vegan for many years). I think it's a good decision on his part as such would alienate a large part of his potential audience.

Neo wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:29 pmI have nothing against Veganism but at the same time, I don't think we should present something as truth under the guise of something else if it isn't so.
I disagree that it is presented under the guise of something else. A tennis ball can be described as either round or yellow.

Neo wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:29 pmI wouldn't mind advocating going Vegan for it's obvious health benefits and not harming animals but not simply on the basis of not killing animals for food.
You lost me there.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome!

A few of the plant-based doctors aren't vegan. I don't think Campbell or McDougall are vegan at all.

Some of them eat meat on occasion (like once a year at thanksgiving, or a few times a year on special occasions), and as Jebus said wear leather, etc.
A couple of them protest being called vegan because they don't hold an ethical position about it.

Veganism is a moral position which suggests more than just diet.

I don't agree with some of the claims in these movies (other claims are more or less correct). For example, some are too negative about healthy plant-based fats like nuts. There's no reason to avoid nuts, which are mostly low in saturated fat (except coconut).

There are some good health reasons to reduce or avoid animal products, but the moral arguments are at the root of veganism (environmental and animal ethics) otherwise there's no reason to avoid fur, leather, etc.
Neo

Post by Neo »

Thanks for your feedbacks, Jebus and brimstone salad!

My apologies for not proofreading; how embarrassing.

I feel a lot better knowing that some of the doctors and participants in tase films themselves are not Vegan and necessarily promoting Veganism.
You're definitely right, that there's a definite difference between a plant based diet and being Vegan; Vegan having the added moral aspect to it, i.e., not eating animals, etc. I must admit, I started off interested in Veganism purely for dietary reasons and the health benefits. But, I am happy that the byproduct is that I will not be harming any animals, etc.

Thank you all again.