Hello from the California Sierra foothills

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Beth Grant DeRoos
Diet: Vegan

Hello from the California Sierra foothills

Post by Beth Grant DeRoos »

We live in California in the Sierra foothills east of Sacramento (8 generation California clan). We became vegetarians in 1976 when taking free cooking classes a local SDA (Seventh Day Adventist) church had, which today would be called vegan classes since NO animal products were used.  

Then 20+ years ago we encountered Dr. Dean Ornish a cardiologist who was at Stanford and UCSF Medical schools and was considered the #1 expert on reversing heart disease with a plant based lifestyle plus physical activity and meditation. Then a dozen years ago we encounter Dr. John McDougall who is also plant based. California is blessed with a LOT of vegans

Am fortunate to live in California where affordable year round fresh in season fruits, vegetables are available, and where all the nuts we eat are grown within a thirty mile radius. So we have NO excuse to not be vegan. Something I think a lot about when I hear from struggling vegans/plant based folks in others states and countries with limited choices or expensive ones.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Hello from the California Sierra foothills

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Beth! It's great that you're eating nuts :) I know some vegans who follow the high carb doctors are afraid of them.

Seventh Day Adventists are pretty cool. Do you belong to the church?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome Beth and congratulations on such a long time span of meat avoidance. Are you surprised that the movement has not made more progress since 1976 and how optimistic are you about the future?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Nice to meet you!

I'm originally from the South East (raised Baptist) so the first time I traveled to California and saw that 80% of the state was rural farmland, I was extremely surprised. Television does not do your state justice; it's as varied as the rest of the entire country combined!

Welcome aboard!
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.