Cooking vegan food for one.

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
antigone2
Diet: Vegan

Cooking vegan food for one.

Post by antigone2 »

I have been a vegan for years but now I live alone and cooking complicated vegan foods for just myself just seems like too much trouble. I need to start eating better. I was hoping that someone might have ideas for easy vegan meals. I really don't enjoy cooking so recipes with 10 ingredients are REALLY too much trouble!
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: Cooking vegan food for one.

Post by PsYcHo »

Welcome aboard!

If I'm just cooking for myself, I like the premade Indian food. Not all dishes are Vegan, but many are. Make some rice, and you got a meal.

One thing my partner and I have started doing is cooking up big meals, like soup or pasta dishes, and freezing it in gallon bags. That way you only have to cook once, but you can defrost it whenever you like for up to several months. Huge timesaver if you're like me, motivated to cook somedays, but most days just "what can I heat up and eat like now?" ;)
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

A slow cooker is a great option, you dump some things in and let it go. If you don't have one, it may be a good investment for some easy cooking.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:09 pm A slow cooker is a great option, you dump some things in and let it go.

Please clarify this as I don't understand what you mean or how a slow cooker is beneficial to cooking. I am buying one so I can make Castile soap. Great if my cooking can benefit from it too.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:27 pm
brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:09 pm A slow cooker is a great option, you dump some things in and let it go.

Please clarify this as I don't understand what you mean or how a slow cooker is beneficial to cooking. I am buying one so I can make Castile soap. Great if my cooking can benefit from it too.
It lets you just throw things in it and turn it on, then ignore it all day while it cooks and stews things together with temperature control. Whereas a simmering pot needs to be minded more (it may lose more water, and you might need to stir it to keep the bottom from burning), or you might need an oven for even heat (slow cooker distributes the heat more as I understand it).
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:16 pmIt lets you just throw things in it and turn it on, then ignore it all day while it cooks and stews things together with temperature control. Whereas a simmering pot needs to be minded more (it may lose more water, and you might need to stir it to keep the bottom from burning), or you might need an oven for even heat (slow cooker distributes the heat more as I understand it).
OK thanks. Doesn't seem like something I can benefit from. Also, doesn't seem very environmental.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:26 pm OK thanks. Doesn't seem like something I can benefit from. Also, doesn't seem very environmental.
To the contrary, because it's small, it seals well, and it retains heat and steam, it's probably superior to stove top or oven.
Although the embodied energy OF the slow cooker itself may be substantial, it would only make sense if you used it often.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:45 pm
Jebus wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:26 pm OK thanks. Doesn't seem like something I can benefit from. Also, doesn't seem very environmental.
To the contrary, because it's small, it seals well, and it retains heat and steam, it's probably superior to stove top or oven.
Although the embodied energy OF the slow cooker itself may be substantial, it would only make sense if you used it often.
OK, I just don't see how a slow cooker would save any time. Do you, for example, use it for lunch and then leave it on until dinner when you eat the same thing again? In that case, if it cooks slowly would you not have to start preparing lunch a couple of hours before?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:11 am OK, I just don't see how a slow cooker would save any time. Do you, for example, use it for lunch and then leave it on until dinner when you eat the same thing again? In that case, if it cooks slowly would you not have to start preparing lunch a couple of hours before?
You normally make a big pot of something, not single servings. Then you can eat it for a few days (reheat in the microwave or something, if you need it warm).
Raniya15

Post by Raniya15 »

antigone2 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:26 pm I have been a vegan for years but now I live alone and cooking complicated vegan foods for just myself just seems like too much trouble. I need to start eating better. I was hoping that someone might have ideas for easy vegan meals. I really don't enjoy cooking so recipes with 10 ingredients are REALLY too much trouble!
I know a lot of recipes where only 3-5 ingredients :)