Cooking vegan food for one.

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Deva
Diet: Vegan

Re: Cooking vegan food for one.

Post by Deva »

Raniya15 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:39 pm
antigone2 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:26 pm I have been a vegan for years but now I live alone and cooking complicated vegan foods for just myself just seems like too much trouble. I need to start eating better. I was hoping that someone might have ideas for easy vegan meals. I really don't enjoy cooking so recipes with 10 ingredients are REALLY too much trouble!
I know a lot of recipes where only 3-5 ingredients :)
What sort of recipes? I am wanting to find easier things to make, too.
Raniya15

Post by Raniya15 »

Deva wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:52 pm
Raniya15 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:39 pm
antigone2 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:26 pm I have been a vegan for years but now I live alone and cooking complicated vegan foods for just myself just seems like too much trouble. I need to start eating better. I was hoping that someone might have ideas for easy vegan meals. I really don't enjoy cooking so recipes with 10 ingredients are REALLY too much trouble!
I know a lot of recipes where only 3-5 ingredients :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/Raniya9015 there is. Every week 2 or 3 recipies, and you can write what kind of food would you like, than I will do it in video:). My goal is to teach cheap, easy, fast vegan dishes.
Deva

Post by Deva »

Raniya15 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:23 am
https://www.youtube.com/user/Raniya9015 there is. Every week 2 or 3 recipies, and you can write what kind of food would you like, than I will do it in video:). My goal is to teach cheap, easy, fast vegan dishes.
Raniya15

Post by Raniya15 »

Deva wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:45 am
Raniya15 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:23 am
I hope you will like it, I'll do my best:). Tomorrow I will do easy vegan pancakes and dinner, and tomorrow I will put it in this channel.
cornivore

Post by cornivore »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:33 am
Jebus wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:11 am OK, I just don't see how a slow cooker would save any time. Do you, for example, use it for lunch and then leave it on until dinner when you eat the same thing again? In that case, if it cooks slowly would you not have to start preparing lunch a couple of hours before?
You normally make a big pot of something, not single servings. Then you can eat it for a few days (reheat in the microwave or something, if you need it warm).
I had tried using a little slow cooker for keeping broth warm longer while I dipped bread in it (which would save the time and trouble of reaheating it in a microwave). Then I thought a big one might be good for keeping a viking sized pot of soup warm, so every spoonful would be as if it were hot off the stove. However, I think the larger ones crack easier, being ceramic too. That probably happened because I poured boiling liquid into it, oh yeah... well, somehow this was counterintuitive to me, since it's made to heat liquids! Anyway, I switched to using a stainless steel casserole pot, along with a portable hot plate, and the metal pot cools slowly, since I cook directly in it, then I don't always need the hot plate later. I just eat out of the pot on a table, with a trivet underneath, instead of putting it in a soup serving bowl, and the handles allow me to drink from the pot too (if I let it cool down a few degrees from piping hot). The point is that soups can be simple to prepare and keep warm. There are also fewer dishes to get out and clean afterward, so it is efficient that way too. I would also like to save anyone else the trouble of misusing the crock pot (-tery): never pour oven hot liquid into a cold one, or into a ceramic serving bowl for that matter—well I've never cracked one of those, so that's why I think large slow cookers are especially delicate.