Hi! From Mexico!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
ayamuz
Diet: Vegan

Hi! From Mexico!

Post by ayamuz »

Hello! I'm just on my first week as a vegan! As a medical doctor (27yo), it was a really difficult choice because of all of the misconceptions that surround a vegan lifestyle. Now that I made the decision, I've been finding people that really know what they are doing and don't just follow certain lifestyle to impress or to have the "right answer" or to spread hate.

Greetings to every one in the forum!
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: Hi! From Mexico!

Post by Jebus »

Welcome! What motivated you to make the change! Is veganism getting popular in Mexico?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome ayamuz, I hope you like it here!
The pseudoscience that some vegans advocate is I think a big barrier for some generally rational people; it takes some work to see past it.

What ultimately inspired you to make the change?
ayamuz

Post by ayamuz »

Jebus wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:05 pm Welcome! What motivated you to make the change! Is veganism getting popular in Mexico?
It is indeed getting popular. My sister has been vegan for around 4 years and I have joined her while visiting vegan restaurants and so on and it's growing really fast. My favourites are the ones that don't promote themselves as just for vegans since one can barely notice the difference on most of the food.

You know how everyone says that they became doctors to help others? That's mostly true but we are also narcissist that want to feel wiser and superior than anyone else. That really made me question some of my life decisions. The motto from my faculty is "Allis vivere" (Living for everyone else). For me, it is not just about humans. So, I thought that taking this lifestyle would be a way to become more humble and really focus on what first led me to study medicine.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:40 pm Welcome ayamuz, I hope you like it here!
The pseudoscience that some vegans advocate is I think a big barrier for some generally rational people; it takes some work to see past it.

What ultimately inspired you to make the change?
It was some kind of a challenge with myself. The idea of becoming vegan always came back to my mind but I held back because of fear that people would think that a vegan doctor was not coherent. After some thinking and internal debate, I decided that If I educated myself enough I could send a different message to those with whom I interact. Instead of taking hate on pseudoscience (something that I used to do), it is my believe that through honest and informed discussion, we can change the inaccurate view that some have about being vegan.
Funny enough, what brought me here was not being able to find a cruelty free/vegan toothpaste with fluoride in Mexico.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

We certainly need more vegan MDs. Please include yourself on this map: https://www.plantbaseddoctors.org/
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Anyone who doesn't want to spread hate is a welcome person, regardless of the setting.

Nice to meet you.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
ayamuz

Post by ayamuz »

Jebus wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:59 pm We certainly need more vegan MDs. Please include yourself on this map: https://www.plantbaseddoctors.org/
Wow! Thank you! I did not know this was a thing!