Hello from Maryland!!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
avocadosarelife
Diet: Vegan

Hello from Maryland!!

Post by avocadosarelife »

Hey there, nice to meet you all! I'm Nicole, I'm 17 and I've been vegan now for...almost 4 months now! I initially decided to switch because I watched the documentary "Lucent" on YouTube. I couldn't even finish watching it, because it instantly made me cry. So, you could say that I switched over to veganism for the animals, but as I become more educated about it, it's become for my health and the environment as well. I don't have any vegan friends, sadly, but I have a friend who is a vegetarian who's interested in veganism, so that's good! :D

Let's see...other things about me:

-I want to become a Veterinarian
-I love videogames and reading books (I'm basically a huge nerd!)
-I love Overwatch (D.VA is my main)

And..that's about it! As I said before, nice to meet you all, and I hope to have some interesting discussions on this site!

-Nicole
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Hello from Maryland!!

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Nicole! Great intro, and congrats on going vegan.

I'll have to look into that documentary.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Hey Nicole! I know you'll like it here, and I hope you'll become a vet one day!
BTW TF2 > OW
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

avocadosarelife wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:19 pm -I love videogames and reading books (I'm basically a huge nerd!)
Hello!

I think there's a fair amount of book/gaming nerds here. :ugeek:

What gaming platforms are you using? I'm typically at least one system behind because I'm cheap/busy, but I love my 3ds. I did try a demo of the Nintendo Switch, and the Zelda game was pretty addictive, so I'm considering buying it.

Welcome aboard!
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome Nicole. Did you find it difficult to become vegan? Is there anything you miss eating?

Great if your friend would become vegan too.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

Welcome to the forum Nicole/Avocadosarelife, I hope you like it here. Best of luck with your future veterinarian career. Are your family supportive of you being vegan?
avocadosarelife wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:19 pm-I want to become a Veterinarian
I'm fond of videogames and books as well. I haven't been reading novels lately, however, since I've been busy reading lots of scientific journal articles on geology. I'm currently a university student pursuing a Geology M.S.

Last novel I read was the second Witcher novel: Time of Contempt. I read the first two Witcher novels this past summer, and played through Witcher 3: Wild Hunt as well. I finished this game, and the first novel (Blood of Elves), on the same say.

Regarding videogames, I've heard of Overwatch, although I haven't played it myself. Currently, when I have free time I play Elder Scrolls Online and Assassin's Creed Origins. The latter takes place in ancient Egypt (between 49 B.C. and 48 B.C.), a setting which I like very much. Come to think of it, Egypt probably would have been one of the best places to be vegan in ancient times!
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
avocadosarelife

PsYcHo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:27 pm
avocadosarelife wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:19 pm -I love videogames and reading books (I'm basically a huge nerd!)
Hello!

I think there's a fair amount of book/gaming nerds here. :ugeek:

What gaming platforms are you using? I'm typically at least one system behind because I'm cheap/busy, but I love my 3ds. I did try a demo of the Nintendo Switch, and the Zelda game was pretty addictive, so I'm considering buying it.

Welcome aboard!
PC and my 3DS mostly! I also play my WII U at times! I'm waiting for my brother to get the switch so I can try it out!
avocadosarelife

Jebus wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:11 am Welcome Nicole. Did you find it difficult to become vegan? Is there anything you miss eating?

Great if your friend would become vegan too.
Honestly it wasn't too difficult for me, I actually went "cold tofurkey" overnight! The only thing that I miss are Reese's PB Cups, but I've made homemade ones and they taste just as good! :)
avocadosarelife

Lightningman_42 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:11 am Welcome to the forum Nicole/Avocadosarelife, I hope you like it here. Best of luck with your future veterinarian career. Are your family supportive of you being vegan?
avocadosarelife wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:19 pm-I want to become a Veterinarian
I'm fond of videogames and books as well. I haven't been reading novels lately, however, since I've been busy reading lots of scientific journal articles on geology. I'm currently a university student pursuing a Geology M.S.

Last novel I read was the second Witcher novel: Time of Contempt. I read the first two Witcher novels this past summer, and played through Witcher 3: Wild Hunt as well. I finished this game, and the first novel (Blood of Elves), on the same say.

Regarding videogames, I've heard of Overwatch, although I haven't played it myself. Currently, when I have free time I play Elder Scrolls Online and Assassin's Creed Origins. The latter takes place in ancient Egypt (between 49 B.C. and 48 B.C.), a setting which I like very much. Come to think of it, Egypt probably would have been one of the best places to be vegan in ancient times!
Woah! Good luck on getting your Masters Degree!! I've heard of the Witcher series, but I haven't played or read any of it! I want to buy ESO because I'm big fan of The Elder Scrolls series!!
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

avocadosarelife wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:09 pm
PC and my 3DS mostly!
:D

I'm not a huge PC gamer (I did WOW for a bit, but had to give it up for work, and I like games you can beat.), but I do love my 3DS. Just the fact that you can close it at any point, and it picks up right back there has made it the best gaming system I've ever had.

Any recommendations on games? I'm an Rpg person, but I also love the Mario type games. I've just got into the Dragon Quest games, and thought those were well worth playing, much like the Bravely Default/Second (which were just FF remakes.)
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.