Hello from Michigan

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
thevegetabletrials
Diet: Meat-Eater

Hello from Michigan

Post by thevegetabletrials »

Hi everyone,

I'm Rachel, a college student in Michigan. I'm currently eating an omnivorous diet, and am on this website to explore ethical arguments for veganism. I don't have a strong background with philosophy/ethics since it is not my field of study, but I am interested in political philosophy, and this interest has started to slowly stem into looking at animal ethics. Also, I'm always interested in trying new (relatively easy and fairly cheap) vegan recipes, so feel free to post links to recipes if you're feel like it!

Have a great day!
Rachel
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Hello from Michigan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Rachel,

Do you have any thoughts on ethics now? If so, what would you consider to be the basis for morality?

The best vegan recipes are the satiating ones with protein and fat, so they don't leave you feeling hungry. Dishes that incorporate beans are great, but a little protein powder in a smoothie can boost satiation too.
Hummus is a good go-to snack, but bean burritos are good for a main course.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Hello!

They have some excellent Vegan recipes that anyone can enjoy. Have you ever tried Indian food? Much of it is either Vegetarian or Vegan, and it's delicious. (I've made it for people who didn't notice it didn't have any meat/dairy... :) )

Welcome aboard!
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Post by Jebus »

Hi Rachel,

The ethical arguments for veganism are quite simple and do not require any special training; i.e, why make animals suffer when we can eat great tasting plant-based food that is also better for our health and the environment?

Lots of vegan recipes here: http://allrecipes.com/recipes/1227/everyday-cooking/vegan/
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.