Greetings from the arctic

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
DrDavid
Diet: Vegan

Greetings from the arctic

Post by DrDavid »

Hello all

I have now been vegan for 6 years. I was a vegetarian for a couple of years before that. It was my brother (who's been lurking this site for some time) who convinced me to go total vegan. I thought it would be tough. It wasn't.

Thinking back I remember an experience in fourth grade class (more than a few years ago...). We incubated eggs and raised chickens in our classroom. After that I refused to eat chicken or eggs for a long time. Unfortunately, that first attempt at a more ethical diet faultered due to pressure from school/parents.

I've always found it easy to connect with other animals, and they seem to like me. In hindsight, I probably should have become a vet instead of an M.D.

I currently work as a G.P. in the arctic regions of Norway. Fishing territory. I avoid discussing the fishing tradition with the locals, it would be as pointless as trying to pry the gun out of Charlton Heston's dead hands. My advice to the local population is instead to reduce meat/dairy, and increase fruit/vegggies. It's nice to see that something seems to be influencing the options at the local supermarket.

My hobby is "wildlife" photography. I have a lot of nice pics, but no online presence yet. I'm s l o w l y working on getting a web gallery up and running...

David
Last edited by DrDavid on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Greetings from the arctic

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome David, great intro! I'm glad you've joined the forum.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome, and thanks for a nice intro.

I noticed in another thread that you already managed the quote function. Impressive! Sometimes it takes hundreds of posts before the forum member figures it out.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

DrDavid wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:14 pm
My hobby is "wildlife" photography. I have a lot of nice pics, but no online presence yet.
Hello DrDavid,

I would love to see some of your photography! It is only a passing hobby of mine, (I'm not that good, and I don't have a decent camera, so my best pics are scenery.) but I'd love to see an actual pursuer of the art present his works.

PsYcHo (Despite the name, I'm harmless. :) )
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.