Hello from Scotland!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Ambrosio
Diet: Vegan

Hello from Scotland!

Post by Ambrosio »

Hi everyone!

So apparently I registered in August, but I haven't used the forum yet... awkward.

In any case, I'm a Swedish guy who is currently living in Scotland. I became a vegan 5 months ago but I'm embarrassed to say I had been thinking about it for years before I took action. The first seed was sown when I read the Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness and, as a Psychology and Biology student I started reading a lot of research in animal consciousness. So my turn to veganism built up over the years, but was triggered by a very particular confrontation with my own hypocricy. I lived in Asia for a year as an exchange student where I met many Westerners who were traveling. I was furious over their cluelessness when it came to interacting with animals during their travels, visiting "owl cafés" in Tokyo, riding elephants in India who have been abused since birth, petting tigers in Thailand who are kept in states of constant sedation etc. But at the same time I was eating animal products every day, and eventually had to accept that I was just as complicit in the exploitation of animals as them.

I started learning more about veganism and eventually transitioned over-night. Of course I never expected any of the magical benefits that some recent vegan converts talk about, but the feeling of finally ending my own hypocricy is fantastic, even if it's long over-due.

I care a lot about debate and science, and even as a new vegan I feel like sometimes these are very lacking in the movement. That's why I'm here. I'm gonna end this over-long introduction now but I look forward to some interesting discussions on the forum! :)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Hello from Scotland!

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Great intro, welcome to the forum!
I'm glad you joined in.

It's good to hear the Cambridge declaration is being influential.
What do you think are some of the top points of scientific ignorance in the movement currently? Do you have any thoughts on a top 3 or 5... or 10 or whatever?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Hi Ambrosio,

Great to see a fellow Swede on the forum. There used to be a few but they are all gone. The Swedish vegan movement seems to be big into intersectionality which is perhaps the reason they are turned off by this (mainly anti-intersectionality) forum.

If you like debate and science you have come to the right place.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Ambrosio

Post by Ambrosio »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:48 pm Great intro, welcome to the forum!
I'm glad you joined in.

It's good to hear the Cambridge declaration is being influential.
What do you think are some of the top points of scientific ignorance in the movement currently? Do you have any thoughts on a top 3 or 5... or 10 or whatever?
Hi and thanks for the welcome!

As for your question, well, I'm still relatively new to the movement. I haven't looked into it in any systematic way, but based on recurring themes I found when I first started researching veganism online, as well as discussions with vegans that I have had online and in real life, I would say some common problems are:

1. Lack of source criticism. Books or blogs written by people with very dubious credentials are frequently placed above actual, peer-reviewed research. In many cases, if source criticism is applied, it's done in a conspiratorial way, explaining away very firm scientific consensus on a given topic by talking about how the research is funded by *industry X*.

2. Promotion of fringe diets with little or no scientific support. When I was learning about veganism I very quickly came across things like "fully raw", whose supporters promote their diet almost exclusively with pseudoscientific language (cleansing etc.).

3. Anecdotal evidence i.e. "I cured *insert any illness, physical or mental* with veganism" - usually strongly implying that others can do it too.

4. Soooooooo many naturalistic fallacies.

5. Cherry-picking research.

Obviously, none of these are unique to the vegan movement, and I'm definitely under the impression that the vegans who commit them are in the minority. However, I often notice that the broader public associates veganism with various forms of pseudoscience, so that minority is vocal enough to be harmful.

Feel free to let me know if you have any thoughts on this assessment or anything to add! :)
Ambrosio

Post by Ambrosio »

Jebus wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:52 pm Hi Ambrosio,

Great to see a fellow Swede on the forum. There used to be a few but they are all gone. The Swedish vegan movement seems to be big into intersectionality which is perhaps the reason they are turned off by this (mainly anti-intersectionality) forum.

If you like debate and science you have come to the right place.
Hi, and thanks! :)

I have to admit I haven't heard about intersectional veganism, but I can pretty much imagine what it would entail from knowing each word in isolation.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Hey, and welcome aboard!

I've wanted to travel abroad, and I've considered Scotland as a place worth visiting.

Would you recommend Scotland as a place to visit? I'm looking for scenery and general tolerance of American tourists.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Ambrosio

Post by Ambrosio »

PsYcHo wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:31 am Hey, and welcome aboard!

I've wanted to travel abroad, and I've considered Scotland as a place worth visiting.

Would you recommend Scotland as a place to visit? I'm looking for scenery and general tolerance of American tourists.
Hey and thanks!

Scotland is definitely worth a visit, and Scottish people are generally welcoming. I've lived here for over 2 years in total and I never once felt anything but warmly welcome. I live in Glasgow, which is probably not the ideal city to visit as a tourist though (although it's been voted one of the best cities in Europe for vegan food so there's that). The Scottish Highlands are absolutely amazing, and the Isle of Skye in particular has some of the most stunning sites I've seen in my life. Edinburgh is also a very nice city to visit.

It's interesting that you're considering Scotland because there's a very high chance I'll make my first-ever trip to the US next summer! :D
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Ambrosio wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:04 pm I live in Glasgow, which is probably not the ideal city to visit as a tourist though
I have heard of a Glasgow knife.. :? (Broken beer bottle..)

Ambrosio wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:04 pm The Scottish Highlands are absolutely amazing, and the Isle of Skye in particular has some of the most stunning sites I've seen in my life. Edinburgh is also a very nice city to visit.
I would LOVE to see the Highlands!!

Ambrosio wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:04 pmIt's interesting that you're considering Scotland because there's a very high chance I'll make my first-ever trip to the US next summer! :D
It does have some beautiful areas. What area are you heading for?
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.