Hi from Canada

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Plantbasedlife
Diet: Vegan

Hi from Canada

Post by Plantbasedlife »

Hello all....So I went strictly plant based a year ago (coming up to my first year anniversary). I may be a newbie but I do my research with borderline obsessive intensity. To me this is the obvious course for me and for the future of humanity. I look forward to discussing the highs & lows of veganism and a place to vent to likeminded individuals. The highs being obvious, improved health, conscience & a sense of well-being. The lows....the negativity & quick judgement I've encountered is frustrating as is the feeling that it's just not enough. I've even shocked myself by become somewhat of an activist😳
More and more people are adopting plant-based diets, schools, hospitals are slowly moving towards vegetarian options. Even the Canadian Food Guide has FINALLY made some tweaks & health professionals are no longer pushing Dairy as the most efficient calcium source. All positive progress, I truly believe furure generations will look at us as ignorant, irresponsible Neanderthals. However there are still the majority of people that can't or won't accept. Nothing gets a meat/eater up in arms faster than suggesting a plant based alternative! And so....demand remains frustratingly massive & growing & it becomes increasingly difficult to not throat punch people that say 'but bacon'...
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Hi from Canada

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome! I hope you like it here.

What inspired you to go vegan? Any documentaries, etc. or particular arguments?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Congratulations on your first year as a vegan and kudos for venturing into activism.
Plantbasedlife wrote: ↑Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:16 pmThe lows....the negativity & quick judgement I've encountered is frustrating as is the feeling that it's just not enough.
I think I've become used to this so it doesn't bother me much anymore. I'm much more bothered by the amount of bs floating around in the "vegan community" and which I feel is slowing down the progress. Whenever I make a rational science based comment on a Facebook vegan page, my comment gets buried in layers and layers of shit. This forum is the exception. People are asked to back up their claims with rational and/or links to science.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Plantbasedlife

Post by Plantbasedlife »

I was always plagued by guilt whenever I would eat meat, for me it is all about the animal welfare. It was the documentary 'what the health' that sealed the deal. Once I learned of the environmental aspects coupled with what I suspected went on in industrial meat 'farms' I couldn't rationalize any longer, if I could thrive w/o consuming meat it was a no-brainer. Then came dairy, I always pictured (thanks to clever & revoltingly inaccurate advertising) that a farmer went out to a lush pasture with a bucket to gently express just enough milk for the day, leaving enough to nourish her growing calf until it was weaned at the appropriate age. Imagine my horror at my first glimpse inside an actual industrial dairy establishment.
So basically it's the nightmarish existence of these sentient beings and what it's doing to our planet. I cant say I've noticed any drastic health benefits but I do have less pain in my knees when I run likely due to less inflammation? I have heard of many other that notice reduced cholesterol, blood pressure, depression, etc.
I have also become a fabulous vegan cook & my new favourite pastime is proving how amazing vegan meals can taste to my carnivorous family:)