Hi from a skeptical Vegetarian!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
ForFoodsSake
Diet: Vegetarian

Hi from a skeptical Vegetarian!

Post by ForFoodsSake »

Hello everybody,

I wanted to join this forum as a way to further engage with people on the nuances behind eating a vegetarian/vegan diet. I've been fascinated by these dietary questions for a while now, particularly from an environmental perspective, and am always looking to learn more from those around me.

Since January, I run a podcast called For Food's Sake where I interview individuals working closely with food-related issues, including environmentalists, academics, chefs, farmers, activists, and entrepreneurs.

I feel like I could get a lot of inspiration from this group, not only for my own learning but also for the podcast. I'm a skeptical vegetarian (meaning I do not eat meat, and sparingly dairy), but still have a lot of unanswered questions and reservations about Veganism and Vegetarianism. I strongly believe in rational respectful debate as the way forward (rather than tactics of scorn, ridicule and shame) to effectively engage meat eaters, vegetarians, and vegans alike on these important issues.

I have a lot of questions and thoughts on a lot of issues. I look forward to engaging with you all! :)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Hi from a skeptical Vegetarian!

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome ForFoodsSake!

Happy to have you here, I hope you like the forum.
Please don't hesitate to start a thread asking any of your questions.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Post by Jebus »

Welcome!
ForFoodsSake wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:10 amI strongly believe in rational respectful debate as the way forward (rather than tactics of scorn, ridicule and shame) to effectively engage meat eaters, vegetarians, and vegans alike on these important issues.
Usually true. However, it is also important that the message does not go unheard and I think this is a concern with vegans who are too "nice and respectful".
ForFoodsSake wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:10 amI have a lot of questions and thoughts on a lot of issues.
Great. I am looking forward to your questions.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

ForFoodsSake wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:10 am
I have a lot of questions and thoughts on a lot of issues. I look forward to engaging with you all! :)
I'm so glad that you want to engage, and wish to welcome you to the forum!

Jump in and start a dialogue!
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.